• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extremely anesthesia resistant, terrified

P

person54321

Both my mom and I have "the redhead gene" without being red haired. She's had a couple root canals where they were unable to provide any numbness until they injected her pulp directly. When I've had cavities on my bottom teeth I was also unable to get even slightly numb. I mean absolutely no numbness whatsoever even after 7 shots. I've also had some minor surgeries under local where the doctor has remarked she's never needed to use so much lidocaine. So I'm pretty petrified of having my wisdom teeth out. I'm getting all 4 wisdom teeth out in a few days under IV sedation. I've told my fears to multiple oral surgeons and they all in varying amounts of bluntness said "well you won't remember it anyways." I'm fine with that answer if we're talking about some pain and discomfort, but not having no pain control whatsoever for pulling out teeth. When I pointed that out 1 oral surgeon got annoyed and snapped angrily that I can have general anesthesia but I'd need to go to the hospital. I'm also a bit confused about how conscious I will be, will I be just coping with what's happening in the moment but not remembering it later? Can anyone provide some reassurance here?

Last edited:
I’m so sorry that you have not gotten a more comforting response from the oral surgeons you have seen. There are definitely different levels of sedation that can be done IV. However, I’d also be worried about being traumatized by pain even if I don’t remember it. I have a difficult time getting numb on the bottom as well, but not quite as bad as you’ve described. Is going to the hospital and having general and option for you? At least then you’ll be assured that you’ll have no pain during the procedure.

I had all my wisdom teeth out with local, and not to sugar coat it, it was awful because I was not numb and the extractions for the bottoms took about an hour each. I’m terrified of sedation, so I’m not really sure if that would have helped. Are your teeth impacted? Mine were fully impacted and I have very, very long roots. Maybe you could ask the OS how easy or difficult he thinks the extractions will be?

Are you able to at least get an adequate answer to your question before you have the procedure? Sorry to not be able to provide reassurance, but I am concerned that your concerned were not adequately addressed by the OS.

Maybe someone else who has had conscious sedation can share a different perspective or one of the dentists on here can share some additional information that would be helpful.

I believe you!
Some people are particularly difficult but there are also several different local anesthetics available for dental use. I think I routinely have four different ones in my office.
As to OMS people they generally aren't the best at bedside manners.

Under IV sedation you wont remember anything. I had two impacted wisdom teeth removed that way. There was a point where I remember the surgeon saying they were about to start laying the chair back and, from then on, I have no memory until after they were done. I "woke up" in the sitting up right position so it didn't feel like time had passed.

Read this interview the other day and it has some good info about what the patient experiences from the dentists perspective under sedation.
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/interviews/omar-iqbal-bds/

I believe you!
Some people are particularly difficult but there are also several different local anesthetics available for dental use. I think I routinely have four different ones in my office.
As to OMS people they generally aren't the best at bedside manners.

Thank you for your response! I'm sure my anxiety makes the numbing situation worse (at least that's what I've read), so sedation should help, but both my mother and I seem to have extremely resistant teeth. I don't know if the nerves branch off or what.

If a patient was in significant pain during a procedure the surgeon wouldn't just keep going under the assumption they won't remember it, right? My mother had her wisdom teeth out under IV sedation and said she remembers nothing between putting in the needle and getting in the car to leave, which is reassuring. But I can't help but worry about what happened in between!

You are constantly monitored when under sedation. Which means they have multiple ways to know if you are in pain or not.

Your vocal chords aren't paralysed during IV sedation, you can make it very, very plain to the dentist if something hurts :)
You're right about anaesthetic working better with sedation btw.

Maybe I should start another thread for this, but I’m wondering if I should even be removing them? They’re just 4 healthy erupted teeth. My dentist wants me to get them out because I have a cavity on a top one and he said he doesn’t think it’s worth fixing. I can see the rationale for removing the top ones, they’re so sensitive I can’t have them cleaned at the office. But the bottom ones are just normal molars that cause me no problems. I am anal about hygiene and never miss a cleaning. Is there rationale for pulling all four? I’m 30 now so I think my jaw is already fully dense.

It's tricky, sounds definitely like the top 2 would be better off gone, but I'd be loathe to extract the lowers if they were sound... what's the OS' reason for removing them?

It's tricky, sounds definitely like the top 2 would be better off gone, but I'd be loathe to extract the lowers if they were sound... what's the OS' reason for removing them?
Because I’m under anyways and I’ll “probably need them out eventually.” So one surgery instead of two. My dad still has all 4 of his, my mom only had them removed in her 60s (I think she broke one and they just took all 4).

He also worried that without an opposing tooth they would continue to erupt. There is also a small gum flap over both and he says it will get infected. They came in about 10 years ago though and have been no trouble. I have some big gaps in my teeth so plenty of space for them.

I can see the pros and cons of both. I worry about nerve damage and a longer recovery mostly, but also wouldn’t want to have a second surgery later either. I’m very undecided.

Nerve damage isn't a big issue if they're as well erupted as you say.

Hey everyone, wanted to update, I opted for all four and it was as easy as everyone says. I have no memory of the procedure and my surgeon said I didn’t appear uncomfortable or fight him, I was just in and out of sleep. The bottom ones were apparently pretty stubborn but he said I seemed comfortable and again, I have zero memory of it. The last thing I remember is having a rubber dam placed in my mouth and then I was getting in my car. No long lasting numbness/obvious nerve damage.

So glad to hear this person54321!!! hope your recovery is quick and well! :welldone::perfect:

Back