• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extremely anxious and scared over possible tooth decay below receding gums

Bella19

Bella19

I have an anxiety disorder and have always been terrified of dentists.
Last visit was a year or so ago and they said everything I was fine.
I have bad receding gums on my lower front tooth, but it has been this way since my teens, and I’m now 35.
I am terrified to have just discovered a dark brown spot on the tooth, below the gum line.
My teeth hygiene has been neglected lately due to major depression.
I am terrified I will now lose this tooth, and others beside it.
I have a Dentist’s appointment booked, but is anyone able to tell me my possible options, or if I’m looking at possibly having to have surgery etc?
Sorry for the poor quality photo.
I can’t stop crying.

Attachments

• 505939E2-FA5B-4956-9957-FB875BF42346.jpeg
    505939E2-FA5B-4956-9957-FB875BF42346.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 65
I can't make out what that is from the photo, but it doesn't look like decay, it's not an area that tends to decay much unless you have a really bad diet, and I'd expect other things to show up before that.
Most likely thing is a bit of calculus (tartar) which should be easily sorted out by your dentist. No surgery necessary.

I can't make out what that is from the photo, but it doesn't look like decay, it's not an area that tends to decay much unless you have a really bad diet, and I'd expect other things to show up before that.
Most likely thing is a bit of calculus (tartar) which should be easily sorted out by your dentist. No surgery necessary.

Thank you for your advice Gordon, you calmed my nerves.
My appointment was today, and I found out the mark is actually on my gum, not my tooth.
The notes my Dentist wrote on the referral to my oral surgeon are:

“Kindly review pigmentation (2-3mm diameter, black, round, distinct margins) on lower anterior 31-41 buccal attached mucosa.”

Of course with my severe health anxiety, dental anxiety, and Generalized anxiety disorder, I am now terrified that this may be some form of oral cancer, I’m particularly fearful of melanoma.

I can’t stop crying.
Will they take a biopsy of it? What sorts of things can cause brown or black marks in that area?

Keep in mind that they are simply asking for a review. A bit similar as when a GP would send you to a dermatologist to review a mole. It doesn’t necessarily mean something is bad.

You mentioned on another post that the dentist ask that you keep notes regarding if they are any changes. This will help them to know what is going on.

It seems you saw your dentist quickly regarding this, so also know the quicker they see you and, if needed, do any treatment, the better are your chances they can fix the issue with the lest problems.

Answered on the other thread you started.

Back