• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

extremely decayed toth extraction

M

minisal77

This is my first post and I'm hoping to get some replies and encouragement. I am in the process of having all teeth extracted and getting full dentures. Due to financial situation I am getting 6 teeth at a time removed,I'm halfway done. Today I went for a 2nd attempt to extract tooth #17. I was completely numb but as soon as the dentist started to extract I could feel extreme pain,it felt like nerve pain to me,it went straight to my toes. I had to have her stop. I was on antibiotics for 2 weeks and the tooth is causing so much pain,she referred me to an oral surgeon. I have had 18 teeth pulled with only novacaine and had no problems until #17. When I go to oral surgeon,what will they do differently than my dentist? Will Iv or nitrous oxide really help so that I don't feel that nerve-like pain during extraction? I have been doing very well,very proud of myself,but now old scares are coming back to me. I'm hoping someone can tell me if being "knocked out" will help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you need a different antibiotic? I think when the Oral surgeon extracts your tooth he will give local anesthesia as well as putting you to "sleep" I wouldn't think you would feel anything at all.I didn't..Are you having the rest of your teeth taken out then? Congratulations on getting your teeth done! I'm working my way:) toward dentures too..And you should be very proud of yourself! Hope all goes well.

It is quite likely that the oral surgeon will know more advanced techniques for getting you numb. Oral surgeons are used to dealing with these kinds of things so you should be absolutely fine.
Good luck
Coolin

Maybe you need a different antibiotic? I think when the Oral surgeon extracts your tooth he will give local anesthesia as well as putting you to "sleep" I wouldn't think you would feel anything at all.I didn't..Are you having the rest of your teeth taken out then? Congratulations on getting your teeth done! I'm working my way:) toward dentures too..And you should be very proud of yourself! Hope all goes well.

Thanks, I have 2 more visits with my dentist to complete all extractions but not until I get this 1 tooth taken care of. My dentist tried so many different techniques and different types of novacaine and my face and lip and all got numb but as soon as she started working on the tooth I could feel it. I tried to brave it out and just get it done but it was extreme pain so I had her stop. My fear is that if another dentist "hurts" me then I wont go back to complete the work I started. I had the impression that you can still feel pain under iv sedation,just no memory of it. I'm so nervous!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!

First of all, well done you for getting all this sorted! Totally understand that you don't want to be frightened out of completing the work.

I had a wisdom out on Monday and experienced something very similar to what you've had. I was totally numb, all going fine, then all of sudden this enormous pain out of no where. It was that bad I screamed. The oral surgeon (this was at hospital) tried to convince me it was only 'pressure' I could feel :cry: I think because he knew I was an anxious patient, he also thought I was a liar or histrionic. I explained to him that I felt numb everywhere but in the spot he had just hit, and told him to just carry on - same thing happened. Three times.

He offered to knock me out (obviously would mean dragging the whole thing out) or sedate me (and he did say with sedation you still feel the pain, just don't remember it afterwards). I didn't want it dragged out so I told him to carry on and I would just tough it out if he didn't mind the noises I was making, and at that point he seemed to take me more seriously, dug around a bit, said it was probably the last bit of infection causing the pain, and offered a third option. He said he could inject directly into my nerve but that for ten seconds it would hurt - to the max. I opted for that - and yes it did hurt! But after that everything was fine.

Now I'm out the other side and have been tested so to speak, I feel a lot braver about my personal pain threshold. But given the choice, I would probably opt for a general anaesthetic if I knew in advance that I was going to experience such a level of pain.

I can't tell you what a GA or sedation is like as I'm more scared of not being in control than I am of being in pain, so I've only ever had local.

Good luck what ever you decide :)

Back