• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extremely nervous about dentist

J

jneighties

Hi,

I’m currently in the process of find a dentist to help me with the years I’ve neglected my oral health due to depression, anxiety & health anxiety.

I have a severe build up of calculus on the front & back of my bottom teeth, I had an emergency appointment about 4 weeks ago and other than prescribing me with an antibiotic for an infection they couldn’t help me further.

The dentist did say my teeth are ‘cemented’ in and she wouldn’t be able to ‘make’ me anything if she were to clean them, does anyone know what this means? What would they make to help keep my teeth in place?

I’m in a very bad way with it at the moment, unable to eat, sleep etc and it’s also affecting my speech.

Any advise as to what to expect when I finally get an appointment would be appreciated and if anyone could help me with the ‘cement’ comment and what it is they would make for me? I just want to understand.

Thank you in advance 🙏🏼

The dentist did say my teeth are ‘cemented’ in and she wouldn’t be able to ‘make’ me anything if she were to clean them, does anyone know what this means? What would they make to help keep my teeth in place?
Sorry that makes no sense whatever.
Any advise as to what to expect when I finally get an appointment would be appreciated and if anyone could help me with the ‘cement’ comment and what it is thirst appey would make for me? I just want to understand.
First appointment is normally the dentist establishing a "baseline", which teeth you have present, what fillings you have that kind of stuff. Then they'll check whether you have any decay present, any gum disease and how far advanced it is, then probably take some x-rays.

Following that they'll try to work out a plan for delivering whatever treatment they've decided you need to sort things out. It's unlikely that they'll do any actual treatment on you at that appointment.

If you have any questions before hand, write them down and take them with you, it's easy to get overwhelmed and forget to ask stuff when you're in the surgery.

@Gordon thank you for your reply, I was unsure also, this was the emergency appointment and said dentist couldn’t get me out quick enough lol

I’ve made an appointment today private, £80 lighter but I can’t put a price on finally getting somewhere.

I will write questions down as no doubt my anxiety will be sky high.

Thank you again for your reply.

Good luck, feel free to come back here if there's any further things you want to know.

Just thought I’d pop back on and update people.

I had my first assessment today with the nicest lady I’ve ever met, she instantly put me at ease, it’s been 23 years since I saw a dentist and the nerves I had leading up to this appointment were causing my anxiety to sky rocket and it was keeping me awake at night.

I walked into my appointment and broke down, I apologised profusely for the state of my oral health and she was so lovely, she examined my teeth/gums gently all whilst explaining what she was doing and making sure I was ok.

I have to have a thorough clean which is booked in for tomorrow, the hygienist came in and introduced herself and her dental nurse and again 2 of the nicest people on this earth, the dental nurse even told me to put in the requests because she’s going to sing to me 😂

I’m still slightly nervous as I know these long years of fear don’t just disappear but I feel much more at ease.

Hands down the best thing I’ve done in a long while.

I hope others get a little bit of comfort from my experience, I feel so much better 🥹

So happy for you it went well. You are on your way!

Good Afternoon everyone.

Well I’m back from my clean and all those worries I’ve had for 20+ years were for nothing, I have minimal bone loss, I need 2 fillings and they’ve been thoroughly cleaned, all tatar/calculus has gone and I feel absolutely made up and can’t believe I spent so many years putting it off.

It was quite uncomfortable at times but nothing I couldn’t handle.

I am so unbelievably happy I even shed a tear when she showed me the before & after.

What a feeling!

I hope my positive experience helps others face that fear.

Glad it went well.

Now the main question, what songs did you request? :)

She only knew Cliff Richard and I’m not a fan 😂

Can’t fault them enough though, they were fabulous 🤗

Brilliant, thank you on behalf of her, people like you help so much 🫶🏼

I hope I didn't swap her fear of dentists for a fear of off key singing :)