• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extremely scared!!

T

Tarabelle80

:cry: Hey all,

I'm so glad I found this site! Lately I am a wreck!
So I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to dentists (bad experiences as a child) and my family doesn't have the best teeth ever. (especially my mom's side). For years I have suffered from major depression & anxiety...and sadly those things kept me away from the dentist..and basic self care procedures...mind you, I thought I could do it on my own in my 20's...

Now in my 30's dental issues are getting worse and giving me huge anxiety. The past 2 days since I discovered more issues, i'm a walking anxiety attack and I hate it! :(
I feel so guilty and bad for putting things off for SO long..but yet I know why I did..and I couldn't help it then. Now, I just need to get past these fears and work on things.
However, I could use some support in doing so! As I type this, I am full of anxiety..literally numb & scared :(

My dental issues pertain around gingivitis that I once had and I'm sure it's advanced now. One tooth on my bottom row is receded all the way to the root..and the rest are receding too...lately I feel this feeling like a tooth might be loosening, and it makes me sick to think of that! ALL of this I could have prevented if I took care of things in a reasonable matter and time.

I have the fear like everyone else does...losing teeth...expense and mainly feeling bad for not having done anything. I live in the bay area, CA and I need to find a dentist that will understand my fears and work with me. I am willing to have surgery if needed (I want to fix things badly!!) but I don't know where to start!

If anyone can offer advice or their experience I would greatly appreciate it!
I hate the amount of anxiety I'm having...it makes work hard, and I'm a mom of 2 small boys!
I.JUST.WISH.I.DID.BETTER
I feel like crying :cry:

Thanks for reading!!,
Tara

Hi there, hope this helps a bit.

Firstly welcome here, you are not alone with any of your fears and anxiety! We here all went through or are fighting the same feelings!
Put guilt and self blame aside - you don't deserve it especially not from yourself! You are doing great and it will just get better from here on :) Whatever happened happened and by now you can't really do anything about so it is totally pointless to stress about it. It is in the past.

Find a doctor that specializes in patients with fear and anxiety. If possible recommendations from friends and family can be the best. You don't have to share anything you can just say, hey I am looking for a new dentist can you recommend anyone? While choosing doctor always listen to your instincts. If anyhting doesnt feel right about the clinic or the doctor remember you have a choice to walk away. There is no shame in it and no one is forcing you. It is most important you find someone good whom you trust.

Be OK with sharing your fears and speak up while at the doctor. Let them know how you feel what your worries are. It helps to build trust to both you and them and they can treat you better if they know that you are also battling fear.

After the first appointment it will get better and better and better. Also dentistry is so advanced these days they can pretty much solve anything.

:grouphug:

Back