• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extremely sore mouth after cleanings/fillings

L

LadyBee

Twice now I have had an extremely sore spot in the back of my mouth after dental work. The first time was after a cleaning and the second time (now) is after a filling in an upper wisdom tooth. The soreness is in the same spot at the very back of my mouth near the wisdom tooth. It feels swollen and I have accidentally bitten my cheek several times. The first time the pain lasted for almost a week. It's been about three days this time and it's still with me. I mentioned it to my dentist the first time and he didn't seem very concerned - told me to rinse with warm salty water, which I did but it didn't help that much. There is a visible sore place but it's hard to see since it's so far back. I would hope that my dentist would be conscientious enough to look for suspicious areas when I go in for dental work. I have never smoked but I was a chronic cheek biter for years and I get paranoid that maybe I have oral cancer. Should I be worried?

I wouldn't worry about oral cancer, your symptoms just don't fit. Hard to tell exactly what is going on without seeing it though. Could you get your dentist to take a look while it's still sore?

Back