• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Eye pain after root canal - very worried

J

Jojo3399

Please advise if you can as I am in a panic.

I have had a bad infection in my mouth for 6 months as my dentist failed to do anything about it even after several visits. I have now changed dentist and have had root canal performed on an upper left tooth 2 weeks ago. The infection was still present and I complained to the dentist about a strange eye pain so it was re-done 3 days ago and I was given antibiotics.

Since the second root canal my eye pain has become worse. It feels like someone is pulling down on my left eyelid and the movement of my eyeball hurts - it feels very strained. The vision in that eye feels a little bit hazy - fine in other eye. I went to my optician yesterday and given the all clear. I went to the Dr earlier and also given the all clear.

I am concerned as although given the all clear no professional knew exactly what it was - they gave ideas such as it's because of the work that has been done and it has affected the nerve around the eye.

Please if anyone has any experience of this can you reply.

Thanks in advance. I am getting really worked up about this as it is affecting my eye sight which is very worrying.

Hi,
It is possible that the nerve is damaged, most probably the facial nerve (but it is difficult to tell without examining you). The question is what excatly caused it. Most probably it's the infection and the dental work around it. If this is the case, the complaint you have should be a temporary one and go away within two weeks.

I had an abscess left untreated for about 20 months also by a dentist that wouldn't admit something was wrong. I also had pain in my eye and I even had under my eye jumping which is very annoying. My vision was effected but it was hard to explain and I thought I was going mad.

I found another dentist and they did a rct and after a few courses of antibiotics and a lot of work and effort by this dentist my tooth face and eye did clear up.

I would think it is the tooth and infection that has effected your eye, as turned out to be the case with me. I hope this puts your mind at rest a bit. I think given a bit of time your eye will stop hurting.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you both so much for your reply. My eye has went down a little - but it is still not right or back to normal. My Doctor is sending me for a CAT scan to check it is not sinus issues. But the scan plus results will take another 4 - 5 weeks to come back.

I have had blood taken to rule out things and everything was clear EXCEPT a high inflamation level. I asked if that meant the infection could still be present in my tooth/gum area and the Doctor said not really, inflamation can be from anything like the common cold. But it has to be high for some reason - and I feel fine elsewhere.

My RC tooth/cheek area is still 'niggly' and I have no idea what to do. I don't want to get any dental work done until my scan comes back because my Doctor did say it may be nerve damage although like I said, they're not sure at all. My dentist seems to think the infection should be gone in my tooth, however they do want to finish it all off and double check.

All the Doctors and dentists keep saying that an infection from your tooh SHOULDN'T link at all to eye pain - but it just seems like far too much of a coincidence to me that this all came about at the same time.

I really want all this over with (has been going on in total for almost 13months now) but I am scared if I wait for the scan my possible infection will get worse, OR if I get more dental work done and it affects the nerve more (if that's what it is), OR all along this tooth/cheek/eye pain is sinusitis and I keep getting unecessary work done!

Nightmare. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for replying again.

Mine didn't clear up instantly, and I still occasionally get the odd eye jumping thing. I am sorry I cannot be of any help to you but I just want to wish you well and hope you feel better soon. Try not to worry too much, I know it is hard but there are doctors and dentists listening to you now and trying to help, so they will get to the bottom of things for you, I am sure. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thanks again, Carole, much appreciated.

Just for anyone else out there with a similar problem, I have also had a congested nose alongside my eye pain and in the last 48hrs my sinuses have now started to drain causing me a very runny nose, sore above eyebrows (both sides), sore cheek bones (both sides), headache (I NEVER get headaches), and what feels like tooth pain (both sides). Saw a Dr today that checked me over, I also have a bit of a fever (she took temp) which I didn't realise. She said she has no idea what the eye pain was all about, and is glad I will be getting a CT scan to double check teeth related/eye issues.

She said that the symptoms I am NOW having link to sinusitis and she has prescribed me antibiotics. She said she didn't know whether anything was linked and would have to wat for CT scan to see if any other issues are here.

I am slightly concerned that it has been my sinuses all along as I have had sinus/tooth pain in the past which cleared up with antibiotics very quickly. It worries me that my previous dentist wouldn't have picked up on that though (before the RC, they could see nothing wrong with the tooth on x-ray and basically started RC because there was no other option for my aching tooth).

I will try to antibiotics (although I hate taking things when I don't know exactly what's wrong with me! Like a guessing game) and see if they clear up my sinus issues - will be interesting to see if it clears up my tooth/cheek pain and eye pain. I will post on here after the course just to let others know if they ever have similar issues in the future. It has been a nightmare for me but like you say, at least people are now listening to me instead of fobbing me off :)

Thanks again :jump:

Back