• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

face jaw and gum pain 8 months and counting. help!

G

geminidreamatl30

gums are def swollen and inflamed. cheek bone swelling is worse, jaw pain is a sick ache so im pretty sure i got a gum infection from the deep cleaning. ive been keeping it clean with warm salt water and perioxide and warm water plus brushing and flossing. still on anti biotics but i think i may need a strong one since the pain has gotten worse. ice too on my cheeks. also taking allergy meds just to make sure. figures....

L

Leftie

Hi There

I have recently had to have had quite a few extractions, 4 since October with my most recent being yesterday (lots of infected teeth and some could not afford root canals) and one of my recent extractions (Tooth number 31, back right molar next to wisdom tooth), which i had done 3 weeks ago, is still extremely painful. it hurts everyday but gets really bad at night and has woken me up a couple times. pain pills help a little but then it subsides and the pain i have in my recent extraction happens. now ive been to the dentist to have him look at it and he said i do not have dry socket and its healing fine so i was just wondering why am i still hurting very badly (even more then my recent extraction) in that hole site? i rinse with warm salt water daily several times and brush twice a day and floss. im just tired of being in this pain it has made it where i have not been able to function that well.

You cannot ignore this as possibly being the root cause, I assume this is the same side? Your first post on this forum

Have you asked anyone to do a blood test looking for inflammation and or infection markers?

G

geminidreamatl30

You cannot ignore this as possibly being the root cause, I assume this is the same side? Your first post on this forum

Have you asked anyone to do a blood test looking for inflammation and or infection markers?

same side yes and doctor thought it was an infection, my parents and partner think i do now to as do i. going to see if i can get a stronger anti biotic tomorrow and my dentist is going to give me a referreal for a periodontist. been rinising with warm salt water, peroxide and warm water, does hurt very bad to brush the area, my wisdom tooth hurts but the molar still does not hurt and no pain to tap but gum is deteriating around it so im pretty sure its a gum infection. def gonna get it treated soon.

G

geminidreamatl30

same side yes and doctor thought it was an infection, my parents and partner think i do now to as do i. going to see if i can get a stronger anti biotic tomorrow and my dentist is going to give me a referreal for a periodontist. been rinising with warm salt water, peroxide and warm water, does hurt very bad to brush the area, my wisdom tooth hurts but the molar still does not hurt and no pain to tap but gum is deteriating around it so im pretty sure its a gum infection. def gonna get it treated soon.

Going to Ear nose and throat doctor friday seeing dentist tomorrow for tmj splint adjustment, seeing periodontist next week. hopefully between the three i can get this fixed as my swelling in my face has gotten worse, its hot, i can feel it radiating into my neck and arm. jaw is stiff and achy sick pain when i open my mouth on right side so pretty sure its an in fection. will keep everyone updated.

G

geminidreamatl30

ENT said nothing wrong with sinuses or ears and no gland infection but gums are swollen and suggested i see a periodontist which i am tomorrow morning. my face pain has gotten worse on the left since using mouth splint therapy. gums are very irritated and hurt very badly. so hopefully he can help me tomorrow.

L

Leftie

Did you have a nasal endoscopy?

Seriously what you are going through, apart form the sore gums is so similar to me. I have been on 9 weeks of antibiotics, given to me by an ENT as they saw a bone infection in my lower sinus, but my sinuses were perfect apart from this area so the assumption was it was jawbone.

I too had three infected teeth removed after dental work, none of these showed any outward signs of infection no pain, no gum boils as the infection was near or in the sinus, two of them you couldn't see the infection on a normal X-Ray only on a CT

It is only in the last two weeks that mine has started to improve.

I would really encourage you to persist with a Dr for a blood test to check for an infection, or maybe get someone to x-ray\CT the old extraction area as this should be completely healed by now.

I am not a Dr or a Dentist it is just what I have had to try and learn/understand. Best of luck I do know how you feel!

G

geminidreamatl30

I saw my periodontist yesterday who told me that i dont have any sign of gum disease or periodontal disease though i do still have some gingivitis and some of my pockets around the gums and tooth that has been bothering me has gone from a 4 to a 5-6 and i just had a deep cleaning around them. he did say the upper right wisdom tooth is causing some gum swelling and pain so he is taking it out tomorrow and is also performing some gum surgery around and near the gum and tooth that has been hurting as he feels the tooth next to it that got extracted could have some food or bone trapped under the gums which is causing my swelling in my face and the gum pain and swelling. he isnt charging for the gum surgery but is for the extraction. ill be under sedation. so hopefully some of this will help if not, we will take that step when we get there. no the ent did not that test but did check then sinuses with this weird device and checked for gland infections and ear infections. i do have a trapped tooth root in one of the holes where i had a tooth extracted thats near the sinuses and my perio told me the tooth causing the gum pain does have gum recession and put on this flouride varnish which stung at first then felt better and that is is very close to the sinuses and said both issues can very swell cause jaw and sinus pain. he said he didnt think i needed the tooth root out unless it gets worse but is sure there is def something trapped in the gums causing the swelling and pain but did say i dont have any abscesses. so thats whats happening tomorrow. one step at a time. i am finally on pain meds percocets, and tramadol which help a little. he did tell me he would give me stronger ones tomorrow after surgery. and leftie i had a CT scan in late august after all of my extractions and according to them they didnt find anything except some torn ligaments in my jaw, arthritist, the tooth root and the left condyl was out of socket. i also had a nasal x ray in september and again came back normal. so hopefully this will help. i can feel were getting close! ill update everyone when i can as ill be out of it tomorrow and probably saturday plus im going out of town monday for a week so hopefully this will help.

G

geminidreamatl30

got wisdom tooth extracted friday. still sore gums still sore face is swollen but he found some bone pieces inside my gums next to tooth and took them out and sewed them up along with my wisdom tooth extraction. he said i do need a crown at some point on tooth number 2 upper right side but to keep it clean, rinsing etc and ill be fine. going to universal orlando for a week so i hope to have lots of fun and not think about my pain. but i am on plenty of pain pills. ill still keep everyone updated to see if this helped or not.

G

geminidreamatl30

still in pain in my gums around molar tooth after wisdom tooth removal and still have some swelling in my cheek which is still really sore and feels like a sick pain. seeing perio tomorrow and tmj guy next week then boston for 2 weeks. so lets hope someone can help me in the mean time or at lease give me some pain pills.

G

geminidreamatl30

im very angry. just went and saw my perio and he said theres nothing wrong with the gums over tooth number two and the pain is just tooth sensitivity and he placed a flouride varnish on the tooth which hurt and stings. i cant eat on that side without any pain or tooth sensitivity and my cheek is still swollen and puffy which he said he cant see which my partner and mother can. plus i have a very stiff jaw on that side that feels like a tight sick pain and not tmj and i went to the ent and she said i dont have anything wrong with my sinuses. he thinks its muscle from tmj but this is the only tooth that has gum pain above it! so im still in terrible pain and no one can help me....

B

bioflame

Sometimes I can't believe what folks are telling us. They are in pain. Their doctors are not helping them...So sad

G

geminidreamatl30

bioflame, yes im conveninced now its my tooth causing the pain cause the gum is still sore to touch and when i dont touch it. and whenever i clean the tooth at a certain spot i get a severe intense pain that radiates from the tooth to the cheek and it throbs then subsides but my cheek is swollen with a stiff sick pain and i have a very sore temple that stings like hell. my left side is just muscle pain in my face and jaw from the months of clenching before i got the splint. my face quivers and i get muscle spasams on that side so im almost positive tooth number 2 is infected plus with my muscle and trigeminal neuralgia pain ive been very uncomfortable lol

G

geminidreamatl30

my dentist probed my tooth tapped on it, and did a cold test he claims the nerve is not dying and that there are no signs of infection despite my gum hurting very bad around that tooth and the beyond intense pain i get whenever i brush that tooth or rinse my mouth around it or the fact my cheek and face feel different then on the right side which i know is muscle pain and i have no gum or intense sensitivity on that side at all. so im nearly positive its my tooth causing the pain.