• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Facial pain that comes and goes

M

mouthsewnshut

I've had a problem with a bottom wisdom tooth recently. Had antibiotics, it cleared, then a few days later it returned. I called my dentist and he dispensed more antibiotic. I have bruxism (I have a splint for sleeping), I've had moderate facial pain associated with that before, but this time around it is really really painful. I feel that the pain in my tooth is almost gone now, but out of the blue, I get pain that goes from my jaw to my ear to my head and my face and it brings me to tears, this can last a couple hours. I've done cold/warm packs, that seems to help a little, I alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol, but it seems to always be there. I can't see my dentist until later in the week, I am not sure what to do. Anyone else experienced that? Could it be TMJ that just happened to be getting worse? I don't think it's down to infection, or at least not *only* down to infection. Also the anxiety of having to have something done about this is not helping with the clenching I am sure! :(

I saw maxillofacial surgeon about my facial pain a couple years ago, he didn't even bother examining me or looking at x-rays, just said that bruxism is a bad habit and suggested I stop doing it. ?

I have TMJD due to clenching my teeth at night, along with a lot of dental work that caused me to chew unevenly for a long time. Mine does the same as what you are describing. It goes through periods where it hurts a lot and then sometimes only a little. Hot packs are the only thing I have found to help, honestly. Also massaging the jaw joint gently. I also wear a night guard and try to relax my jaw at night and during the day.

Thanks MountainMama. At the moment it is pretty much what I am doing, packs and massaging. The painrelievers work a little but not always enough. It's hard to relax your jaw when you're asleep though :( I find with my night guard, all it does really is keep my teeth from being damaged but doesn't stop the grinding and clenching.

Thanks MountainMama. At the moment it is pretty much what I am doing, packs and massaging. The painrelievers work a little but not always enough. It's hard to relax your jaw when you're asleep though :( I find with my night guard, all it does really is keep my teeth from being damaged but doesn't stop the grinding and clenching.
I have the same issue with sleeping. At times when it gets really bad, I will sleep with pillows propping up my head so I am in more of an inclined position or even sleep in an armchair. My oral surgeon prescribed muscle relaxers a few times when it was so bad that I couldn’t sleep.

Back