• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Facing an incompetent dentist, no idea what to do, and scared of the consequences

I

ilostmysoul

Facing an incompetent dentist, no idea what to do, and scared of the consequences

Hello everyone.

Here's my back story: I spent 2-3 years with a general dentist, but ended up leaving her (failed to properly numb me several times + refusing to treat a broken tooth until it got infected). Since I had 2 teeth needing root canal, I decided to search for an endodontist. A friend recommended a very experienced, 52 year old dentist, owner of a clinic, and with several specificiations, including endodontics. However, I instead got put with a 26-27 year old fresh out of college, and made the mistake of deciding to go along with it without complaining.

I had the 2 root canals done without any problem mid-procedure, but sometimes things would go wrong; temporary fillings would fall out in less than a week, and once I had to go 3 times in a week to had the filling replaced.

Fast-forward 3-4 months, after the 2 root canals were properly finished (dentist said a crown wouldn't be necessary since the damage on either wasn't that big). Now one of the root canals is still hurting me from time to time, and I can't chew down at all using that tooth. The other one is having a leakage, and it's getting black around the edge of the filling.

What should I do? Should I go and complain? The 2 major treatments I did in the clinic both failed. Should I ask for a transferal to the older dentist after explaining the situation? I'm afraid of what complaining will cause to my current dentist, because I get along quite well with her and the rest of the staff, they are pretty nice, but I feel abused.

Also, has anyone ever been on this situation? I don't know what the retreatment will be like. How will they remove everything they have inside of my teeth, including the gutchas (can't spell) the burned down? Is there a chance I might lose any of these teeth? Thanks for reading/answering!

Re: Facing an incompetent dentist, no idea what to do, and scared of the consequences

Can totally relate to what has happened to you, I had a root canal and on the day I went back to start treatment for the crown I had another broken tooth so,she treated that one then just said she would fill the root canal one instead. That filling has fallen out twice despite the fact that I never chew on that side of my mouth due to brittleness of tooth and she told me if it falls out again she will need to extract the tooth. I am far from happy with my treatment, similar have untreated teeth that need treatment, she will literally treat ones that are causing pain, yet I am concerned about going to another dentist! Be brave like I am going to be and try another dentist, surely you have nothing to lose by doing so.

Re: Facing an incompetent dentist, no idea what to do, and scared of the consequences

yes I have been to an incompetent dentist, and I wasted thousands of dollars and a year and a half of pain and suffering. If you feel your dentist is incompetent do not worry about what anyone else will think, run do not walk away from that office and go somewhere else. if you do not trust this dentist to help you do not let them make things worse for you.

Back