• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Facing periodontal disease

M

Mnjim

Hey everyone, this website is about the only place it seems I can find a collection of people who feel like I do and also are, unfortunately, facing many of the same issues I am.

I have always had good teeth. I brushed I flossed, I did it all. Except for some reason I let six years slip past without going to the dentist. When I finally went in last month, she showed me where the gums had receded very badly around my upper molars. She did not measure my pockets yet because she wanted my gums to settle a bit, but I definitely have periodontal disease. How bad remains to be seen. She didn't want me to come back for six months but that seems crazy to me after doing a bit of research.

I took immediate steps doing research on the Internet, and it was grim everywhere. It seemed like basically I had just been told I was screwed, and I should look forward to dentures. I cannot do anything about it for the next three weeks at least as I have to help my mom through surgery out of state. What I did do was invest in a sonicare toothbrush and a waterpik. My gums look great, no bleeding, no inflammation, no infection. My teeth are still great, not a single cavity for what it's worth, though a bit sensitive. There is a lot of recession though and it looks bad around a couple of upper molars, like I can see jaw bone. She mentioned nothing about bone loss from the X-rays, would the X-rays have showed signs? How do they diagnose bone loss in periodontal disease?

I am not even sure what I am hoping to hear in response. I would love to hear that someone with conditions similar to me have at least fought this thing to a stand still, that I won't necessarily have to lose all my teeth, that people can keep this from progressing. I am practicing the best hygiene I can and will absolutely get a periodontist referral as soon as I am done helping my mom. It seems like it is getting worse, but that is probably because I am obsessing about it.

thabks for letting me vent...

Last edited:
Diagnosing periodontal disease:
Radiographs show bone loss
Periodontal probing- 6 measurements per tooth

Every adult should expect that their dentist is monitoring the health of their gums. There isn't complete agreement on what that might entail but periodontal probing needs to be recorded. Some dentists will start earlier and others later just make sure you have been probed and are monitored.

Tx: Regardless of the approach taken great emphasis is always placed on daily hygiene and frequent professional care which usually is cleaning q3 months long term.

Most important steps to control periodontal disease
1. Never ever smoke
2. Frequent professional care
3. Control blood sugar well
Obesity is also a risk factor by the way.

Thanks for the response. I upped my game with personal hygiene a lot. I brush in the morning and immediately after dinner he beat nothing else at night. I floss after each meal, use a listerine rinse in then ringing and evening. I am not diabetic, not overweight, and keep to a pretty healthy diet and quit smoking 18 years ago after smoking about 5 years and have t had a drink of alcohol in longer still. The only real habit I am thinking of changing is quitting coffee. Is there a positive side to periodontal treatment in doing so?

I have periodontal disease with bone loss.the first thing I thought of when reading ur post is that ur dentist said to wait 6 months...............I WOULDN'T DO THAT.I was told by a very good dentist and 2cd 3rd 6th dentists other opinions also that not only should I get whats called a "deep cleaning" immediately but 6 months is a long eniugh time for the disease to go eat more bone and deepen my pockets noticeably.the good thing about this is with treatment gums can go back to almost normal heights and bone loss can be stoped,at least that what my dentist told me.id get in for a deep cleaning asap.

I have periodontal disease with bone loss.the first thing I thought of when reading ur post is that ur dentist said to wait 6 months...............I WOULDN'T DO THAT.I was told by a very good dentist and 2cd 3rd 6th dentists other opinions also that not only should I get whats called a "deep cleaning" immediately but 6 months is a long eniugh time for the disease to go eat more bone and deepen my pockets noticeably.the good thing about this is with treatment gums can go back to almost normal heights and bone loss can be stoped,at least that what my dentist told me.id get in for a deep cleaning asap.

Frankly that was my thought too. Deep cleaning is where they clean under your gums, right? They use anesthetic and do onesie then another? Is that something dentists do, or just peridontists? Thanks for the input, it is really appreciated.

Frankly that was my thought too. Deep cleaning is where they clean under your gums, right? They use anesthetic and do onesie then another? Is that something dentists do, or just peridontists? Thanks for the input, it is really appreciated.

Yep a deep cleaning is where they go between your gums and your teeth.some people use lidocaine but I didn't (I have my reasons,) and I was ok,the lady doi.g my treatment said alot of people go without lidocaine.and as for who does it,my hygienist did it and from everything ive seen thats mainly who does it.you can do all your teeth at in one sitting( takes about 3 hrs) or 1/4 of your mouth at a time ect.

Thanks for that reply. I had some special tool used on me, but don't think it was a deep cleaning. My dentist does not seem as concerned about my mouth as I do. I can see how much my guns have receded and am pretty irritated that she didn't want me back for six months.

I may may start from scratch with a different dentist. Can dentists do the root scaling or deep cleaning, or is that a periodontist thing only?

I'm a general dentist and I don't like what I'm hearing about your dentist. If you have bone loss it is always best to have root planning and follow-up with frequent cleanings. You might hear of personal stories while interesting I can not make clinical decisions on anything but published stories which all support frequent recalls.
I think you should see a periodontist to eval bone loss and tissue thickness.

Can a standard dentist perform those tests and scale and root planing? Or is it only performed by periodontists?
I was thinking of a new dentist anyway but I live in a remote area 150 miles from the nearest periodontists which I will get a referral for, but it would be awesome to do it closer.
Thanks again!

I had gum disease 14 years ago and though I have never seen my jaw bone I have several teeth of which I can see the roots. are you sure you are seeing actual jaw bone? are your teeth loose? because they would be if it was that bad.
Anyway I had root scaling and planning 14 years ago and my gum pockets went from 7s and 8s to 1s and 2s. my gum recession had actually started over 20 years ago and has not gotten any worse. Though I was told mine did not so much recede as get brushed away because I was always brushing too much and improperly and with a medium brush .

I had gum disease 14 years ago and though I have never seen my jaw bone I have several teeth of which I can see the roots. are you sure you are seeing actual jaw bone? are your teeth loose? because they would be if it was that bad.
Anyway I had root scaling and planning 14 years ago and my gum pockets went from 7s and 8s to 1s and 2s. my gum recession had actually started over 20 years ago and has not gotten any worse. Though I was told mine did not so much recede as get brushed away because I was always brushing too much and improperly and with a medium brush .
Probably just root then. I have no teeth loose enough to move by hand or tongue, so your reply does give me some hope. I have an appointment with a new dentist to discuss my issues with and either get a scaling done with him or possibly get a referral to a periodontist if required.
My dental hygiene has never been bad, and it was suggested that my issue could also have been over brushing. Just in case I switched to a brand new sonicare and waterpik as well as normal floss with a listerine wash after breakfast and dinner. Lunch I floss after but skip the brushing. Cut sugar out almost completely except where it is added to some food unsuspectingly. My teeth, as I said, are in terrific shape. Good enamel, no cavities or decay, all four wisdom teeth right where they should be with no issues and plenty of room.
I just need to get a dentist who will take my obviously severely receded gums more urgently.

Probably just root then. I have no teeth loose enough to move by hand or tongue, so your reply does give me some hope. I have an appointment with a new dentist to discuss my issues with and either get a scaling done with him or possibly get a referral to a periodontist if required.
My dental hygiene has never been bad, and it was suggested that my issue could also have been over brushing. Just in case I switched to a brand new sonicare and waterpik as well as normal floss with a listerine wash after breakfast and dinner. Lunch I floss after but skip the brushing. Cut sugar out almost completely except where it is added to some food unsuspectingly. My teeth, as I said, are in terrific shape. Good enamel, no cavities or decay, all four wisdom teeth right where they should be with no issues and plenty of room.
I just need to get a dentist who will take my obviously severely receded gums more urgently.

over brushing can definitely cause damage. I brushed obsessively for years because of a nasty remark made to me by a hygienist. I still to this day brush too much but am trying to be more careful/ good luck to you. I would start with a new dentist who will measure your gum pockets and let you know how severe (or not) your gum disease is. it may not be bad at all.

Back