• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Failed amalgam filling causing weird symptoms?

Camisa

Camisa

Hi all! :-*
Looking forward to my surgery - wow

In particular, I am having symptoms of something I researched called "Cracked Tooth Syndrome," in a molar that has an amalgam filling which has failed according to my dentist. He says there is decay around the filling.

He didn't mention a crack but I am suspecting one because I am experiencing the following:

1. Constant pressure in that area
2. Shooting "sensitivity pain" when biting - especially on tough foods
3. Pain is relieved when I don't bite - but the pressure is constant
4. Metallic taste in my mouth coming from that tooth
5. One of the four "sides" of the tooth is very discolored (dark gray)

I don't know if the metallic taste is coming from blood or the amalgam filling :confused:

Dentist has said twice already that he does not feel the tooth is abscessed, yet I feel swelling in that area. Can a cracked, weakened tooth or tooth with such a failed filling cause inflammation in nearby tissues?

It feels like my body is rejecting the tooth along with the filling. Like a rusty nail is wedged in my gum, just hanging out there and painful when I bite down.

What bothers me most is this filling is only 3 years old- provided by a not-so-friendly dentist, to make things worse.

Are these symptoms typical of a tooth with a failed amalgam filling?
Is it more likely I am tasting blood or the filling leaking? - and if so, why could my tooth be bleeding / is it dangerous to taste the filling?
Can a cracked or otherwise decayed tooth cause pressure even if it's not abscessed?

I am having it, along with 2 other teeth extracted in January, but hoping to get a sooner appt than that, lots of discomfort. :(

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
It is very difficult to say without seeing the tooth. If your dentist mentioned that he doesn't think the tooth is abscessed, I would trust that statement. Sometimes the gums around the tooth can be irritated from an ill-fitting restoration so that may be contributing to the problem. It is hard to say.

Well I guess, generally speaking, what symptoms do failed amalgam fillings *usually* cause?

For the three years I had it, it never bothered me up until a few months ago. It just feels like the tooth is either cracked or weakened, the tissue around it feels irritated like you mentioned......and that taste of metal. I can't tell if it's blood or the filling itself.... gahhh

If I were you I'd try to get seen a lot sooner than January. If the tooth is not cracked (it can be hard to determine this), it can probably be saved with a root canal and crown.
It could just be that the filling tipped the nerve in the tooth over the edge, it is now in the process of dying and a root canal is the obvious way forward. If you wait till January to be seen it is quite likely that an abscess will result even if it hasn't happened already. If I were you I'd save myself from all that extra hassle/pain and bring my appointment forward. Best wishes. :grouphug:

An abscess will usually show on an x-ray as a darkened area I believe.Did the dentist take x-rays?

If I were you I'd try to get seen a lot sooner than January. If the tooth is not cracked (it can be hard to determine this), it can probably be saved with a root canal and crown.
It could just be that the filling tipped the nerve in the tooth over the edge, it is now in the process of dying and a root canal is the obvious way forward. If you wait till January to be seen it is quite likely that an abscess will result even if it hasn't happened already. If I were you I'd save myself from all that extra hassle/pain and bring my appointment forward. Best wishes. :grouphug:

An abscess will usually show on an x-ray as a darkened area I believe.Did the dentist take x-rays?

In October when the tooth first started bothering me I had a panoramic which showed no abscesses. Then about a week and a half ago I had some bitewings done (I went in to schedule my surgery and asked for more x-rays and an exam cause the discomfort just seems to get worse) so they got some bitewings...which was difficult.... and said that tooth can be saved by replacing the filling. Dentist was more concerned with some other tooth that needed a root canal but I kept telling him that tooth does not bother me like the one with the failed filling in it does. He insisted he could just replace the filling and happily ever after - I asked him to instead please extract it along with the one that needs a root canal and a wisdom tooth. He said he would. I was then scheduled for Jan 12th and the receptionists were really rude about me making sure that I keep the appointment. So I'm really scared to ask if I can be seen sooner.

With all this said I'm kinda scared to think it's liable to abscess between now and my appt....eeek....

How soon should I ask them to be seen??

Last edited:
Hi all! :-*
Looking forward to my surgery - wow

In particular, I am having symptoms of something I researched called "Cracked Tooth Syndrome," in a molar that has an amalgam filling which has failed according to my dentist. He says there is decay around the filling.

He didn't mention a crack but I am suspecting one because I am experiencing the following:

1. Constant pressure in that area
2. Shooting "sensitivity pain" when biting - especially on tough foods
3. Pain is relieved when I don't bite - but the pressure is constant
4. Metallic taste in my mouth coming from that tooth
5. One of the four "sides" of the tooth is very discolored (dark gray)

I don't know if the metallic taste is coming from blood or the amalgam filling :confused:

Dentist has said twice already that he does not feel the tooth is abscessed, yet I feel swelling in that area. Can a cracked, weakened tooth or tooth with such a failed filling cause inflammation in nearby tissues?

It feels like my body is rejecting the tooth along with the filling. Like a rusty nail is wedged in my gum, just hanging out there and painful when I bite down.

What bothers me most is this filling is only 3 years old- provided by a not-so-friendly dentist, to make things worse.

Are these symptoms typical of a tooth with a failed amalgam filling?
Is it more likely I am tasting blood or the filling leaking? - and if so, why could my tooth be bleeding / is it dangerous to taste the filling?
Can a cracked or otherwise decayed tooth cause pressure even if it's not abscessed?

I am having it, along with 2 other teeth extracted in January, but hoping to get a sooner appt than that, lots of discomfort. :(

Thank you so much.
I think its natural for the body to want to reject something thats infected to stop further infection down the line with other teeth etc. If it is a failed amalagam filling do you mean with mercury? the body does not like mercury it is a neuro toxin and very poisonous. I had all sorts of problems with mine my body didnt like them at all. If it is a failed amalgum filling why isnt he replacing it free of charge? can you ask him?

If he doesnt have the balls to take responsibility for bad workman ship then go to anothre dentist for a more friendly responsible approach!
if the tooth is infected and you dont really have the money to get another filling or anything. If I was you I would get it removed asap. but that is just my personal experience when I was low on funds its the only option I had. Unless you get dental insurance.
I guess it depends how badly the tooth is infected. the pressure is probably from the increased blood flow to the area I would imagine that is the body trying to fight the infection and increase nutritional flow to the tooth. I would have thought if it hasnt healed up and is an abcess, y now surely you need to ask someone to take a look at it if you are in that much discomfort? If not ask the dentist why it failed if is meant to last longer then 3 years?

My dentist did not place that filling. Some clinic dentist for poor people put that filling in about 3 years ago and did a really bad job. Part of me thinks she did it on purpose cause she kept stopping and threatening to not finish if I didn't stop gagging. Two days letter I received a certified letter in the mail saying she discharged me as a patient. So I never went back to the dentist until I got an abscess last year at this same time. It ruined my whole holiday season, much like this one is ruining this holiday season.

Tomorrow I will probably call my dentist and ask for an antibiotic and move my surgery day closer than Jan 12th. That doesn't mean they will move the date any closer, it also doesn't mean I'll get an antibiotic. I'm scared. I just hope they aren't going to be all anal and ask to see me before giving me the antibiotic. Cause it will be the 3rd time they have seen me in 2 months.

I am so depressed. I feel like my entire Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year is ruined once again, for the second consecutive year in a row, due to dental problems. :cry:

Back