• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Failed RCT - What now?

E

Emilyjade03

Hi,

I had my RCT March last year, and still have a lump. Sometimes it feels tender but never painful.

I'm seeing the dentist in a few weeks and am terrified she will say the RCT failed. I don't think I'm prepared to have the tooth removed. So here are my questions. (please don't tell me extraction is the only option I cannot handle it :( It's my front tooth and infection was caused from braces and its a front tooth)

1) What will happen if I leave my infected tooth?
2) What is worst case scenario if I leave it?
3) How likely is it that it could cause serious health issues?
4) Has anyone left theirs & if so what happened?

I am so so frightened :(

Emily,

Hello, I am not a dentist , but just wondering if you are seeing a general dentist or endodontist? sometimes endos can have more capabilities to save root canals and do other related procedures to try and save the tooth. Might be worth it to get a consult with one.

Assuming that the root canal has actually failed, which you don't know yet, before you get all into extreme stuff like having your tooth extracted, there are more attractive options...

1) Redo the root canal, preferably by somebody with a microscope, they have much higher success rates
2) Surgical treatment, basically make a wee window above the root of the tooth and clean it out from the other end. Posh name for it is apicectomy. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Thanks everyone! It’s just so scary to deal with! Any tips on beating the major anxiety?

Thanks everyone! It’s just so scary to deal with! Any tips on beating the major anxiety?

Keep reminding yourself that the most likely resolution will be a simple fix like a retreat or an apicoectomy. Most dentists or endodontists will not extract unless there are no options left.

I have found anxiety meds to be a huge help. I usually only take them for the weeks leading up to the appointment. They can be temporary but rather effective. I have also found it helpful to talk with a counselor prior to my appointments. Wish you well.

You tell us.. what did you find helpful in the past when dealing with anxiety? :)

Back