• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Failed root canal, what else could it be?

N

nicdigby

Hi, would appreciate some advice. I cracked my back molar 12 months ago and had to have a crown made. Ever since it was fitted, there has been pain. I had root canal done through the crown, and then have taken two sets of antibiotics. I am still in pain a year later. I cannot chew on that side, it hurts when I brush my teeth and it hurts at night. It hurts if I tap the tooth. The pain is not excruciating, but is right down in the gum when I tap or use the tooth and it is annoying that I cannot eat on that side, because I understood that a crown should not hurt and should act as a normal tooth for many years. The dentist took yet another x ray today but then said the only thing left is referral to an endodentist, or extraction.

My questions:
1) what could it be that an endodentist could diagnose that the dentist cannot?
2) is it something that an oral-facial surgeon could do instead (because then I am fully insured for all costs and treatment, whereas I am not if it is an endodentist!

Many thanks
Nic

Last edited:
Hi Nic,

It sounds like the root canal treatment has not worked. They do not always work. Sadly, the options given to you are the only options.

The endodontist may well be able to solve the problem by redoing the root treatment. They have the extra training, equipment and expertise that can make all the difference. But even they cannot guarantee success. I do not think there is a problem with the diagnosis though.

The oral surgeon will only be able to extract the tooth, so no help if you want to save the tooth.

Hope this helps

Lincoln

Back