• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Favourite form of sedation

N

nervous_wreck

My dentist offers most of this I think-I need to make a decision so Help is needed! :party:

had iv 3 times which was great but.. the best for me is local only an a great dentist :jump:

I have only had teh oral but it worked like a charm so i give it an A plus! along with nitrous

I had general via IV with the dreaded wisdom tooth extractions which for Wisdoms, I would recommend that! but for like a filling, all I prefer is just like harper said! the local anesthesia and a great dentist to get me through! I had nitrous once too but I don't remember it enough to say if I liked it or not cuz I was really young but I'm a control freak so local is the way to go for me!

I got a back molar that was extremely infected pulled on Wednesday while I had deep IV Sedation... It was AMAZING. I'd totally recommend it for anyone who's nervous, not even a deep one is necessary, I only had it deep because I knew how bad my tooth was infected and I didn't want to be aware of it at all. It costs less (about $200 less here in Canada) then the General Anasthesia (which I had for my wisdom teeth out) but works just as great!
The only thing was I felt a little dizzier after the IV Sedation than I did after the GA, but it could be because of all the toxic infection they rid from my jaw?
Either way, if you don't want to be "aware" of what's going on, IV Sedation is great.
I might even use it if I need any more root canals. (I'm such a wimp!)

Local anasthetic's good if you get enough and you get a good dentist... but making sure the dentist is good before the work is done is sometimes hard!

Wish you luck! :cheers:

It has begun! T minus 48 hours until the Dentist. I had a panic attack last nite that grew into a fully fledged asthma attack and Landed me in Hospital-YAY! Not. I am Not happy. :(

I like IV Sedation, but had that for my 20 minute groin surgery. It was like heaven.
As for my teeth he only does Halcion. 3 Pills. (Or liquid, for me) since I can't swallow pills. One at home, One in the office, and one in the chair.
Hopefully that will help me a great deal. I will let you know. I go to speak to the financial planner at the office on Wednesday. I know it will be in the thousands as I have much work to be done.

iv only had nitros before semed to work for me i have the same problem cant swallow pills so it sucks but what can ya do

harper said:
but.. the best for me is local only an a great dentist :jump:
I agree. I've not tried sedation -- to be honest, I'd feel more scared about not being fully aware -- the best form of "sedation" for me is the dentist talking to me slowly and calmly.

I like to 'rough it' with just the local anesthetic...I want to stay clear headed so I know what's going on...the more I know, the calmer I seem to be. If it's for something big though, (like extractions) General Anesthesia is the ONLY way to go for me, I just don't think I would be able to handle something like that otherwise :scared: ...I'd die first from the stress! lol I haven't had very much experience with the Nitrous Oxide Gas but I did have it once for extractions when I was 3 and it seemed to do the trick...I'm afraid to try it now tho, I'm not much for new experiences :confused: lol.

I remember when i was 9 years old, i needed a Tooth out for Braces.
The dentist prescribed me a Tablet to take 1 hour before the appointment.
I can't remeber what it was. But i do remember it did nothing & i was hyterical. I ended up being held down by 2 nurses :cry: :scared: :cry:

HOW Awful!!! And Mean! No wonder we're on a Dental Phobia Forum! :o

The poll questions (choices) need to be refined. Local anesthesia is not sedation in any way. If it were, I would need sedation in order to survive the sedation.

I suppose what the poster who put up the poll meant by "local anesthesia" might be "no sedation" apart from tender loving care (actually, there's a little known word for it - iatrosedation, defined as "the act of making calm by the doctor’s behavior").

Technically speaking, local anaesthesia shouldn't be mentioned in the poll at all because it's not a form of sedation (and in most developed countries is provided automatically, regardless of what other forms of sedation may be used). I'll see if I can edit the poll...

Poll choices have been refined :)

oops!! I really should come on here more often! sorry about that! due for a check-up in a couple of weeks whe i come back from my holidays so... need morale support!

Having gone through the experience now I can definitely say IV sedation without a doubt, just a little prick in the arm, room starting to go round and then absolutely nothing until I opened my eyes, thinking it was just a couple of seconds, but an hour had passed and everything had been done. What a way to go!

Personally,i never wanna be Sedated at all. I hate not being in control of things.
Also Sedation is another Fear of mine. Valium is the only thing i would consider taking.

Tender Loving Care,from the Dentist, is much more my kind of thing  :)

I've never had a needle in mouth but have had experiences of IV in my hand and arm (bliss) and gas and air, I was held down for the gas and air as a child, by an army of people in white coats (strong child) and that was horrific, I had terrible nightmares of giant dental instruments being used on me by toy dentists..

I had gas and air when I gave birth to my son though (with trepidation at first) and I loved the stuff,couldnt get enough of it! i guess the reaction to it can be different when the choice is taken away.

When I initially decided to try and see a dentist and beat my phobia in 1991 I was aware of sedation but felt that I really needed just reassurance and a dentist who would listen to me and be sympathetic to my concerns. Thankfully the dentist I went to Miss JL Potter, then more recently after moving to a new part of the country Mrs M. Bekou Betts have both been really sympathetic and good at listening to me and reassuring me. I always take a cd walkman with a relaxation cd if i need any drilling done I find this helps drown out the noise and helps me relax.

Back