• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear I Have Periapical Abscess Emergency

A

Ahhh2

Hello all...So, due to my Depression and Anxiety over the dentist, I have not been taking care of my teeth as properly as I should.

About a week ago, noticed that I've been having a weird headache that starts from the back of my head and shoots to the front. My throat is also sore and my ears hurt here and there.

Well, yesterday, I noticed a hard lump sitting under teeth I had fillings on about a year ago.

The lump sits right on the spot of the lip that is connected to the gum.

The hard lump does not hurt at all...neither do the teeth. The teeth also have no visible cavities which tricked me into thinking it could not possibly be an abscess...Now, I'm freaking out.

That side of my head does, though. I'm really afraid that I may have a periapical abscess and that the infection is starting to spread.

Now, of course I WOULD go to the dentist because this is severe...but I have no insurance and no money to pay for the dentist. I should be back on my insurance in a month or so...but I'm very scared that this potential abscess will progress far enough to end my life before I can afford the dentist.

Can anyone provide insight as to something else that could be happening? I REALLY don't want it to be a periapical abscess..or any abscess for that matter.

The picture attached are not my teeth as I'm too embarassed to show myself, (I got it from Google)-- but the circled area is where the hard lump is in my mouth.

20190507_041426.jpg

Plz help

Last edited:
I am not a dentist, but can share my abscess story with you. I had an abscess that had apparently been there for over a year, possibly two years, based on the size (according to the endodontist). It was on my front upper tooth, and had not hurt until recently. The only pain I had was pressure pain when I bit with my front tooth. The abscess had eaten away a large section of bone. There was no visible swelling because the abscess gre into the palate behind the tooth rather than in front.

Even with that, the endodontist said it was very unlikely that the infection had spread. Some of the dentists on here explained also that your immune system will hold it in check to an extent, until it gets overtaxed like when you get sick and it is trying to fight two things at once. I had a different tooth infection, and apparently mine couldn't fight both, so the abscess showed up.

Is there any way you could at least go to the doctor' or even a walk in clinic, and see if you need antibiotics? When my abscess was discovered, I was put on antibiotics for a few weeks prior to having the root canal, so it was about a month before I was treated.

Abscesses in the mouth are mostly caused by fairly fragile bacteria, they don't cause massive problems to the rest of the body (in a reasonably healthy Western individual) the infection will not spread to other areas.
If you're not in excessive pain at the moment then you'd be perfectly fine to wait till you've got your insurance cover back in place.

I am not a dentist, but can share my abscess story with you. I had an abscess that had apparently been there for over a year, possibly two years, based on the size (according to the endodontist). It was on my front upper tooth, and had not hurt until recently. The only pain I had was pressure pain when I bit with my front tooth. The abscess had eaten away a large section of bone. There was no visible swelling because the abscess gre into the palate behind the tooth rather than in front.

Even with that, the endodontist said it was very unlikely that the infection had spread. Some of the dentists on here explained also that your immune system will hold it in check to an extent, until it gets overtaxed like when you get sick and it is trying to fight two things at once. I had a different tooth infection, and apparently mine couldn't fight both, so the abscess showed up.

Is there any way you could at least go to the doctor' or even a walk in clinic, and see if you need antibiotics? When my abscess was discovered, I was put on antibiotics for a few weeks prior to having the root canal, so it was about a month before I was treated.
Thank you for sharing your story and I'm glad you're okay, now. Walk-in clinics cost a fortune here, especially without insurance.

Gordon, thanks. I do feel a bit better about the issue...I'll probably have my insurance back around June...

Thank you for sharing your story and I'm glad you're okay, now. Walk-in clinics cost a fortune here, especially without insurance.

Gordon, thanks. I do feel a bit better about the issue...I'll probably have my insurance back around June...

I am sorry the walk in clinics are so pricey! Here, I can run in to a CVS minute clinic for $25 dollars, plus the cost of the prescription if needed. Our health insurance is high deductible, so that is cheaper than me going to the doctor and paying $200 for an office visit.

I am glad Gordon could reassure you!

I'm having an issue here.. the cyst or whatever it is , is starting to bother me. Maybe it is an abscess afteafter all. I only came here to update but there is nothing I can do about it right now. I don't have the money...so whatever happens happens.

I will try not to freak out about it now...I just dont want the pain to get out of control.

I'm having an issue here.. the cyst or whatever it is , is starting to bother me. Maybe it is an abscess afteafter all. I only came here to update but there is nothing I can do about it right now. I don't have the money...so whatever happens happens.

I will try not to freak out about it now...I just dont want the pain to get out of control.

Is ibuprofen helping at all? Salt water rinses?

In fact, the cyst didn't start bothering me until after I did salt water rinse. And now, I've got the gum between my 2 bottom teeth swelling and hurting.

That one is a new development. I'm gonna try to defeat this with salt water. The small bump/swelling between the teeth is not so large.

The huge lump is another story.

I honestly don't understand the location as these teeth have no cavities. This is embarassing but I think I might have gum disease.

I may have to muster up money I cannot afford to take care of this issue. My family is super tight on cash lately.. We almost did not make rent duee to an insurance/bank issue.

At the end of the day, regardless of the reasons..It's my fault..And i feel like my family should not have to suffer with a shortage on money because of my poor decisions.

So Idk what to do. I might just stop complaining & deal with as much as I can...but if things progress I may update just because without the complaining component

I am with a "free clinic" or I was but I have had to renew my application with them. The issue is my state i.d. was stolen so I am getting a new one this week...then I will need to reapply to the program and get approved.

Ty for the resources ♡

I know this post was a long time ago but did you ever get any answers I have a similar problem?

I know this post was a long time ago but did you ever get any answers I have a similar problem?

Hello.

I'm sorry you're having the same issue. It turned out to be a cyst, that kept getting filled with infection. I was given Hydrocodone and Antibiotics, (Amoxicillin) to drain it and help with the pain. It got so bad...I couldn't sleep.

I was advised to also get a biopsy on the cyst as well & needed oral surgery but I didn't have the money & ended up moving out of state shortly after.

It's still there but it hasn't gotten infected since.

What are your symptoms ?

@Ahhh2 Thankyou! I had a bad toothache for a few days and then noticed a hard lump in the place as you but in the premolar area I know the tooth needed a root canal but my appointments kept getting cancelled this was around a year ago

@Ahhh2 Thankyou! I had a bad toothache for a few days and then noticed a hard lump in the place as you but in the premolar area I know the tooth needed a root canal but my appointments kept getting cancelled this was around a year ago

Wow, so you're appointments have been getting cancelled for a year? I just hope it's not anything life threatening. If I were you, I'd go to the ER and get antibiotics. They gave me Antibiotics, free of charge...those can save a life.

I've not had the lump for a year I'd say only a few weeks but the tooth needed treatment last year so I suspect it is from this tooth I have an appointment next week so hopefully this will go ahead!

Back