• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear is consuming me again please help

S

Sarah18

So after a few years I finally went to the dentist last week, he said apart from a filling and a clean they looked fine.
Xrays were taken and he looked at them with me.
I had expected him to say I needed work on a lower molar as that on the odd occasion hurt when I bit down really hard. But said xrays were clear and no problems. I should have asked more but I was so scared about being there.

Now I have dull aching on that side and yes I am clenching and I do grind my teeth.
I'm really worried my tooth is cracked and even more worried about dealing with this as Google seems to say that if cracked and hurts on bite down then can lead to being extracted.

Question is how likely is this to have impacted and make me lose my teeth around it When xrays are completely clear gum bone etc is all healthy.

Why is it a dull ache every now and then

This is a molar that was previously filled could it be that the filling just needs redoing or because the pain comes on the odd occasion when I bit down does this mean it's the root and I'm either likely to have a root canal or extraction?

So upset as it took so much for me to finally go to the dentist last week and now I feel the fear of all of this is consuming me and I'm worried what else could be wrong even though he did a thorough check and xrays

Hi Sarah18,

Firstly it’s good news that your dentist didn’t notice any obvious problems. This is re-assuring. Google generally isn’t reassuring. Remember he has actually seen the tooth.

If your symptoms have changed then it’s definitely worth going back and letting him know. If it is indeed a crack then the earlier it is managed the better.

It is worth emphasising though that it may not be a crack.

The act of clenching and grinding (plus the extent of worry/ stress about the dental visit and tooth) can be enough to irritate the ligament that surround the tooth. This can also cause similar symptoms to what you are describing.

Your dentist may suggest a splint/ guard for wearing at night to protect from these unhelpful forces and may help in getting the full picture and making the right decision for this tooth.

It is sensible to approach these issues conservatively so you can still have full trust in your dentist. The new information you bring will help in the decision making process.

Hope this helps,

Niall

Hi Sarah18,

Firstly it’s good news that your dentist didn’t notice any obvious problems. This is re-assuring. Google generally isn’t reassuring. Remember he has actually seen the tooth.

If your symptoms have changed then it’s definitely worth going back and letting him know. If it is indeed a crack then the earlier it is managed the better.

It is worth emphasising though that it may not be a crack.

The act of clenching and grinding (plus the extent of worry/ stress about the dental visit and tooth) can be enough to irritate the ligament that surround the tooth. This can also cause similar symptoms to what you are describing.

Your dentist may suggest a splint/ guard for wearing at night to protect from these unhelpful forces and may help in getting the full picture and making the right decision for this tooth.

It is sensible to approach these issues conservatively so you can still have full trust in your dentist. The new information you bring will help in the decision making process.

Hope this helps,

Niall

Hi Niall,

Apologies for only just replying I had no notifications to say there was a reply.

Thank you for your reply and your help I really appreciate it.

I've got an appointment booked for Tuesday as that's the only time they could fit me in and I'm also going on holiday the same day.

The problem I have now is dull ache still and a small bump under my gum of this tooth.

I'm petrified at the thought they can't save this tooth.

If this is an abscess and I also have a crack could there be a chance they could still do root canal?

Thank you so much for your time

Hi Sarah,

You’re doing the right thing by going back to see your dentist. He will be able to assess any change on the x-ray or take a different type of x-ray that may help with the decision making process.

If there is indeed and infection/abscess then there’s still a decent chance that the tooth can be saved yes. If there is bitha crack and an abscess then the dentist may have to assess the extent of the crack as to whether the tooth can be saved but again there is still a chance, yes.

Hoping for good news and outcome on Tuesday for you. Enjoy your holiday!
Niall

Hi Sarah,

You’re doing the right thing by going back to see your dentist. He will be able to assess any change on the x-ray or take a different type of x-ray that may help with the decision making process.

If there is indeed and infection/abscess then there’s still a decent chance that the tooth can be saved yes. If there is bitha crack and an abscess then the dentist may have to assess the extent of the crack as to whether the tooth can be saved but again there is still a chance, yes.

Hoping for good news and outcome on Tuesday for you. Enjoy your holiday!
Niall

Hi Niall,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

I went to the dentist (cant believe all these years I've been so scared and in 2 weeks I've been there twice)

Told him everything, he said the lump was soft tissue and no problem at all.
Checked my tooth and surrounding ones with the cold air and tapping which showed no problems. Checked all my gums prodding them etc then took an xray of the tooth and 2 surrounding it so he could see the roots and all teeth looked perfect, definitely no infection or root canal needed.
I find it confusing though as why do I get pressure biting down on the odd occasion and where does the dull aching come from? Is it really likely that clenching my mouth and grinding teeth could cause so much pressure and aching? Or could something have been missed?

Thank you so much for your time and for helping me to have the confidence to go back to see my dentist

Hi Niall,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

I went to the dentist (cant believe all these years I've been so scared and in 2 weeks I've been there twice)

Told him everything, he said the lump was soft tissue and no problem at all.
Checked my tooth and surrounding ones with the cold air and tapping which showed no problems. Checked all my gums prodding them etc then took an xray of the tooth and 2 surrounding it so he could see the roots and all teeth looked perfect, definitely no infection or root canal needed.
I find it confusing though as why do I get pressure biting down on the odd occasion and where does the dull aching come from? Is it really likely that clenching my mouth and grinding teeth could cause so much pressure and aching? Or could something have been missed?

Thank you so much for your time and for helping me to have the confidence to go back to see my dentist

It is possible yes. It appears though that unfortunately it’s not actually possible to be certain the cause at this stage. I’m afraid this does happen sometimes.

Remember that it’s good news that there isn’t a significant problem showing up. If your dentist has not suggested further action or investigations then it can be sensible to monitor things for a period.

If you are not satisfied or confident in your dentist or the explanation then of course you’re entitled to seek a second opinion- either at the same practice or elsewhere. I’m not saying it’s needed but if it would give you peace of mind you may find it helpful.

Well done in attending and returning to the dentist- great progress! ?

Thank you so much for your reply

Regarding the lump (non visible only on touch) on my gum is this true can it just be soft tissue that's caused it? Seems so odd to be there when it hasn't always been there. Doesn't cause any pain and when I asked is it cancer he said definitely not and after all the years of his training he knows straight away it's soft tissue.

This is under the same tooth that was xrayed and showed no problem

Hi Sarah,
It is very possible that it may be soft tissues, yes. Obviously without assessing it I cannot help with clarifying. Your dentist does sound confident so if you trust your dentist then that’s great. If your mind would be at ease with a second opinion it may be worth your while.

Hi Sarah,
It is very possible that it may be soft tissues, yes. Obviously without assessing it I cannot help with clarifying. Your dentist does sound confident so if you trust your dentist then that’s great. If your mind would be at ease with a second opinion it may be worth your while.

If it is soft tissues what would make it form a small lump now? That's what I don't understand

Thank you for your reply

It could be something simple like a minor salivary gland that has swollen up. That sort of thing doesn’t tend to need any treatment.

Back