• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear is getting the better of me - D-day friday

H

Hopeful20

I’m really starting a panic about my tooth extraction on friday!
I am having a wisdom tooth and one other removed by a not very friendly oral surgeon but because I’m in pain and my four children need a non grumpy, happy, active mummy so I have made peace with him doing it!
I have previously posted about my fear of IV. Sedation which I have to have as I know I will not let him near me without- he has told me it will only work if I want it to! I’m now obsessing over this....
Also the wisdom tooth has crumbled slightly and when I look in the mirror and open my mouth as wide as I presume I will need to it almost dissapears into my cheek so am worried he won’t reach it or it will crumble down my throat!!
I know no one can take my fear away but any reassurance will be so helpful I’m sure! I can’t wait for this count down to be over.?

Can't really advise on the iv part as I've only had ga but hope it goes ok for you,know how nervous you must be the waiting can be the worst part.

Hi there,

the anxiety before an appointment is nerve-wracking, isn't it? My heart goes to you. If you're like most people who are scared of the dentist, you may experience a rollercoaster of unpleasant and uncomfortable feelings, worst-case scenarios playing in your head, not being able to focus on anything else and maybe even a whole bunch of physical symptoms from jitteriness to shaking or crying. It is normal and simply shows that you are facing your fears. I still wished for a kinder dentist for you but I appreciate that you want to have the tooth out and have to make compromises when it comes to the practice.
I see how it's scary to imagine having a tooth removed if you can't see actually see it and also your worries about it getting to your throat. The good news is, that removing teeth broken on the gum line is actually much easier than "whole" teeth. You can read more here. Another good news is that your nurse's job during the procedure is to handle the suction instrument and catch anything that would crumble. Nurses do that whole day and are pretty good at it. IV sedation only working if you want it to...? Errr... nope. :noway:(I have to admit that it makes me pretty upset that you were told this, apart from how you were treated during your consult)

All the best wishes and hang in there, I know the last few days before an apt are so hard

I've had IV sedation for fillings and an extraction, and the hardest part of it is getting yourself there to the surgery. The sedation itself is painless and simple, and you probably won't remember very much, if anything, of what has happened during the procedure. Like Enarete has said, the nurse will look after you and make sure you're okay. Good luck, the waiting is awful I know, but you will be fine :clover:

Thank you all for your replies, this has been controlling me for to long now! I guess it’s the unknown! I need to dig deep to get through the doors ??

I’m really starting a panic about my tooth extraction on friday!
I am having a wisdom tooth and one other removed by a not very friendly oral surgeon but because I’m in pain and my four children need a non grumpy, happy, active mummy so I have made peace with him doing it!
I have previously posted about my fear of IV. Sedation which I have to have as I know I will not let him near me without- he has told me it will only work if I want it to! I’m now obsessing over this....
Also the wisdom tooth has crumbled slightly and when I look in the mirror and open my mouth as wide as I presume I will need to it almost dissapears into my cheek so am worried he won’t reach it or it will crumble down my throat!!
I know no one can take my fear away but any reassurance will be so helpful I’m sure! I can’t wait for this count down to be over.?
I go to my first appointment with a dentist in 30 years in the morning ... absolutely nervous wreck , doubt I'll sleep ....my teeth are terrible ? missing a few & others are rotten on the top row .... having trouble with my top left wisdom tooth which is cracked and has a hole at the gumline ?.... Just would like to be ok for Xmas

I had 8 extractions last month under IV sedation. Honestly I was panicking the whole time. When I got there and they put the needle ( which did not hurt at all) in that’s all I remember. Then I woke up. Apparently my Sister told me I had asked the oral surgeon to marry me ?. Please don’t worry, and just think you will be pain free soon. Don’t forget to put ice packs on your cheek when you get home. I took arnica tablets the night before and up to four days after, it really helped with bruising.
Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your replies! Am exhausted with the worry! Have done so much this week to distract myself! I actually think I should change careers to a film director or author with scenarios I have created!! I just need to get in the doors- 1st step!???

Thank you so much for all your replies! Am exhausted with the worry! Have done so much this week to distract myself! I actually think I should change careers to a film director or author with scenarios I have created!! I just need to get in the doors- 1st step!???
Iam exactly the same ,, terrify myself with worry ,over think , think of the worst ,,, don't sleep don't eat ?.... But went today for my first dentist appointment in 30years ?... Wasnt to bad , dentist was a good guy ... But I was still very anxious..I've alot of work ahead of me including crowns , bridges and some extractions ? but has to be done ..I actually clean my teeth 4 or 5 times a day after eating etc..... And he said your teeth are really clean and gums are healthy ,,was surprised. Back on Friday to look at x-rays and take moulds of my mouth .....but having a little trouble with a wisdom tooth so mite say to take it out if he can...don't want to be miserable over Xmas .....
Hang in there .... Your not alone about going to the dentist iam absolutely wrecked with nerves all the time ...ill be nervous again on Friday ?

Arghhh tomorrow is coming to quick! Just have a couple more questions if anyone can help!

*when the sedation is started is it obvious when it starts working, my issue is will I be nervous, sick to my stomach one minute and then unaware or with my inner voice be more like this is happening but I’m not scared- I apologise if I sound crazy!

*also when I wake/ become more with it, will I have big amounts of padding/gauze in my mouth as the wisdom tooth is so far back I worried if gagging and being sick( I have emetaphobia)

so these are my worries of the hour, who knows what tonight will bring!

The effect for me was instant but you won’t remember anything. I know it sounds scary but it really will be fine. You will feel a tiny scratch with the needle and the next thing you know you will be in the recovery room. You will have gauze in your mouth to help a the area to form a clot to stem bleeding and prevent a dry socket. I had all four wisdom teeth out and I did have the gauze in my mouth. I couldn’t feel anything though I was so numbed up. Please try not to stress. I know it’s easier said then done but honestly it’s over so quick and you won’t feel a thing

I’m so upset they have just phoned to cancel as sedation nurse has gone off sick ( which I know can’t be helped) I have worked myself up so much this week and with only a hour to go I was ready to get it done ?

I’m so upset they have just phoned to cancel as sedation nurse has gone off sick ( which I know can’t be helped) I have worked myself up so much this week and with only a hour to go I was ready to get it done ?

Oh that’s such a bummer! Sorry to hear.
Have you managed to reschedule?

Oh no! What a bummer, I am so sorry! This must feel so defeating :( What is the new date?

It’s Monday- I know I am lucky it’s not to long but will feel like a age!! Just disappointed ?

That‘s ok, Hopeful20. You have all right to be disappointed so just stay kind to yourself and let whatever feelings are there now be there. Indeed it will feel like ages and you may have anxiety again and it will suck and you can‘t change it now. It‘s fine to be upset, sad or whatever else.

And after all that disappointment poured out, I am confident that you will be able to collect your courage again - you demonstrated that you have a lot of courage - and face the appointment on Monday. And who knows, maybe this was a good excercise and you will have a tiny tiny little bit less anxiety on Monday. And maybe there are other ideas or questions that come in mind and you will feel better prepared. Who knows.

Still keeping my fingers crossed and as usual, feel free to write and vent as much as you need!:grouphug:

Sorry to hear that ?... hopefully you get sorted soon

I keep debating whether to put it off until after Xmas now, my youngest has parties next week and although not vital she has missed so much this year I would hate for her to miss it! If I’m having this done on Monday at 12.30 will I be ok to go to this on Wednesday at 11 am ( I know I may need to be dosed up on painkillers but as I’m breastfeeding it will only be paracetamol and iboprofen) upper right wisdom and lower tooth 4 th from back!

On the other hand I really don’t want this hanging over me any longer!

On the other hand I really don’t want this hanging over me any longer!
I really think you should get it out of the way so that you can at least try+enjoy xmas,are you nhs? If so appointments are hard to get esp at the mo,I'm about to change to private but still haven't got one till end of jan.

Back