• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

fear is too bad i can't do this...suicidal

W

wishonastar

After searching forever and being ignored i thought i found a dentist who comes to the house. It turns out they mostly do dentures. I tried to explain to the receptionist about my severe anxiety and agoraphobia and she told me "i don't want to hear your life story, either you want the appt or not. The dentist doesn't have time for this " . so i said ok. That was 2 months ago and every time i have had an appt i have stressed and panicked about it and either they didn't show up or they called me at the last minute and said the weather was too bad to come. Another excuse was we just don't get to your town much. They have been dragging me around and all its done is increased my fear, and i didn't that was possible. Now they say they are coming monday and im so terrified im ready to cancel. They are not compassionate at all to the point that the receptionist said"i don't even know why we are coming out i don't think we can help you" .
What should i do. Im so scared im shaking and i think its making the pain in my mouth unbearable. I can't go on like this. Please help me!

Hi, I'm sorry you're feeling so bad at the moment. I can understand your apprehension about the visit, but my advice would be to go ahead with it and don't cancel. If you then find you're not comfortable with the dentist, you can then ask him to leave - it's your home and you're in charge :). Well done for taking that step, I know how hard that was. Good Luck - you can do it - and we're all here to support you. Please let us know how you get on :).

After searching forever and being ignored i thought i found a dentist who comes to the house. It turns out they mostly do dentures. I tried to explain to the receptionist about my severe anxiety and agoraphobia and she told me "i don't want to hear your life story, either you want the appt or not. The dentist doesn't have time for this " . so i said ok. That was 2 months ago and every time i have had an appt i have stressed and panicked about it and either they didn't show up or they called me at the last minute and said the weather was too bad to come. Another excuse was we just don't get to your town much. They have been dragging me around and all its done is increased my fear, and i didn't that was possible. Now they say they are coming monday and im so terrified im ready to cancel. They are not compassionate at all to the point that the receptionist said"i don't even know why we are coming out i don't think we can help you" .
What should i do. Im so scared im shaking and i think its making the pain in my mouth unbearable. I can't go on like this. Please help me!

Hi wishonastar and welcome to the forum
I am not sure what a dentist could do for you in your house even if one did come. they would not be able to do root canals or extractions or whatever it is you may need in your home.
If your pain is that severe you need to go to the emergency room. they will give you antibiotics in case of infection and pain medications.

Also I would not bother with this dental practice anymore, they sound very uncaring and unfeeling.
Most dentists do not mind prescribing a valium or a Xanax to be taken an hour before your appointment so that you are less terrified to show up and be examined.
Good luck and best wishes

Thank you for responding. I just posted on the lions and tigers and bears page. I tried to go threw with the appt but the fear made me sick. I tried to call my doctor on Friday for something to calm me down but she never called back. I tried to call the dentist office to just talk to the dentist to tell him my fears and see if he was willing to work with me. I was told no one talks to the dentist. Heres the really scary part he was going to come and give me an xray and start pulling my teeth! I told the receptionist i can't do that on the first visit. They could only give me a shot of novicaine and he was going to start pulling. Then when he was done he would leave and go to his next house call. I asked what do i do if i have complications she said call 911 . i live alone and i tried all weekend to find someone to help me threw this and no one would. I don't know where to go from here.:cry:

Are you in the USA? this sounds like a very shady dental practice and extremely unethical and possibly illegal. Do not let anyone from this practice work on you.

Yes. I am in ohio.
I am beyond fear and feel hopeless.

right now you are in so much pain that it is likely effecting your ability to make rational decisions. do not let anyone in your house to pull your teeth out! go to the emergency room. they can not fix your teeth but they can give you antibiotics and pain medication.
then look through the thread in the Dentist Recommendations section concerning dentists in ohio who are good to phobic anxiety ridden patients and see if any are near you

I just called my doctor and am waiting on a call back. I called that dentist office an that woman yelled at me. I started crying and she said this is why we don't deal with people like you. I told her i don't want my teeth pulled at home. That's when she yelled and threatened me that i would die if i didn't let them come. I told her to cancel the dam appointment and she hung up on me. Im having a bad panic attack.
I checked the dentist recommendations section and theres no one near me. The problem is also no dentists are accepting medicaid.

ok then call the phone number on your Medicaid card and tell them you need help finding a dentist that will accept Medicaid.
and do not bother calling that shady dentist office any more and do not let any of them in your house if they even show up.

I just answered you on Mugz thread I think it was. That was before reading this thread, sorry you are being treated so badly by the receptionist. This needs reporting ring the Medicaid people up as ScardyCat has suggested but when you do report this receptionist. Her attitude stinks, I am thinking the dentist doesn't know she behaves like this with his patients. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

I did as you all suggested and the Medicaid people said they will look into it and call me back. I also tried to call the American dental association and the council on aging but they are closed today for MLK day. I really don't want to go to the er here the hospital doesn't have the greatest reputation and im afraid to go alone. I guess i will if i have to but i hope i can avoid this. I have been trying so hard all day long to get help since 9 am and all i have gotten is more scared and frustrated. Why is this happening?????

Good morning. I made it threw the night. Its 5am and i just woke up to face another day of pain and fear and this obsession of trying to find help and the fear. I want my life back! I can't enjoy life the pain over rides everything and this awful dear. Why did that women tell me if i didn't let them come and start pulling my teeth at my home i would die? Can i die from this infection in my gums and the bad teeth? If thats true why won't anyone help me. Because i have Medicaid does that make me not worth saving? Before this happened to me i was a happy proud grandma of 7 and i had a life. Now im sick and alone and everyday is panic pain and fear.
I have been the victim of 4 bad dentists. Don't these horrible people realize or care what they have done to people like me. We arnt born afraid. Its learned. After they hurt us then all i have been told is WE DON'T TREAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU, YOUR TOO MUCH TROUBLE. How much trouble was it for you to mess up my mouth and destroy my life!
Im sorry i need to get this out. I feel like the blindfolded ass going round and round everyday with no way out. I pray everyday all day long God will help me and show me the way out of this nightmare. Maybe today i will find help . The longer it goes on the worse the fear gets and i think it makes the pain worse. Is there a life with no dental fear and no pain? Dear God i hope so. This is miserable.

Yes there is life without dental pain and fear and I am proof. I suffered at the hand of a sadistic dentist who told me that when I went to see him in crippling pain that there was nothing wrong with my teeth. This went on for nearly two years I kept going back more and more scared each time I saw him.

It turned out I had a very bad abscess I thought I was going mad the pain was so bad, pain meds did nothing to help and I couldn't get any help from my doctors as they didn't know what was causing me so much pain. In the end they treated me for tri-neuralgia and gave me amitriptyline as that is suppose to calm the nerves down and help with the pain. Of course this did not help but I kept on taking it for over a year hoping that it would start to work soon. It never did, but it wouldn't would it because I didn't have the complaint I was prescribed it for.

One day my tooth broke in half I made an appointment but cancelled it as I was that scared of the dentist by this time because he had lost patience with me by this time and made me feel like I was being a bother. I looked for another dentist and it was the new one that said I had an abscess and had had it for a long time. I lost the tooth that had broken and the tooth that was next to it had a rct.

I reported that dentist and he was dealt with for neglect.

I am telling you all this to let you know that there is hope because now I have seen other dentists since then because the nice dentist I found left the practice I attended and I have been lucky enough to find an equally if not better dentist that I see now. I can now go to see here without the fear and very little nerves to the point I feel like any none phobic person going to see a dentist now.

I am out of pain and have every faith in my dentist, there is always hope and hopefully you will get the treatment you deserve now and the medicaid people with deal with your complaint properly and the receptionist will be told very firmly to clean up her act or whatever they deem is the correct procedure for her to face.

I didn't die from a chronic infection that I had for a long time and you won't either, mine didn't spread either they usually stay localised in the mouth. As frightening and painful as all this is there is hope, it might not seem like it at the moment but you will get sorted out. There is help out there for you, I am in the UK and cannot suggest anything to help but there are a lot of people on her that can.

We are always here for you when you need to vent or need reassurance :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

All the best to you :hug5::hug5::hug5::friends::butterfly:

Good morning.
Oh Carole your story broke my heart. You suffered so much. I have been reading other posts. Do dentists even care what they are doing to people like us. I beginning to think there arnt any good dentists out there. They are all money hungry scums of the earth!
I got some bad news yesterday. I called the council on aging and there aren't any other places to go that take Medicaid. The man checked his data base. Theres nothing but that horrible place that wants to pull my teeth at home with no way to numb me. I want to be put to sleep. Im so scared i don't want to see anything of know anything. Just wake up and its over. Im going to make a few more calls when things open in a few hours but its looking hopeless.
Your going to laugh at me but i felt so upset and desperate i wrote a letter to the president of the United states and told him my story and begged him to help. I will probably never get an answer but I'm that scared and desperate.

There are some very good dentists out there, the majority are good and want to help us. I am hoping that someone comes along on here for you that may be able to help with where to go. I have had ups and downs through my life with dental treatment like most people and I can tell someone that can't be bothered to help with oral care and someone that is really interested in their subject.

We do have dentists that come on here and they are very good, they probably won't be able to treat you but they may have some answers that may help you. Post on the dentist questions part of the forum and see if they can help you.

You did mention visiting the hospital with your problem, do you think it would be worth a visit. I know you aren't keen on this but if it gets you out of pain it would be worth it and they even may be able to treat you. :butterfly:

Yesterday was bad. Can anxiety make the pain worse? I m trying to find help and all day long it was rejection after rejection. It seems no one takes my insurance. The pain got so bad i had to use whiskey, ice and Tylenol to get it under control. I found a hospital 50 miles away but i couldn't find a ride there. I even tried a private ambulance but they said it was too far. Im at a loss. I don't know where to go from here. God help me!

Back