• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of Braces

D

dora123

Hi, I’ve seen on here that quite a few other people have the same fear as me - a fear of metal on and around mouths and teeth. My teeth are relatively straight, it’s just my canines that stick out a little, and braces have been recommended to me. In theory, I would like this, but I can’t stand the thought of having metal on my mouth - it just makes me want to gag! Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I had a brace when I was a teen, but mine was a removeable one, my dentist did not trust me to keep my teeth clean with a fix one, having a learning disability also made it harder to brush high standards. The brace did not work, I have just an overcrowding problem with either a over bite or underbite or similar.

Most nights the brace fell out.

I had a brace when I was a teen, but mine was a removeable one, my dentist did not trust me to keep my teeth clean with a fix one, having a learning disability also made it harder to brush high standards. The brace did not work, I have just an overcrowding problem with either a over bite or underbite or similar.

Most nights the brace fell out.

Thank you for replying so quickly! Yeah I was also thinking about removable ones, because I’m pretty sure my Dad used to use them when he was my age, and you’re certainly not the first person to tell me that it didn’t work :/ Dentists are scary places ?

Thank you for replying so quickly! Yeah I was also thinking about removable ones, because I’m pretty sure my Dad used to use them when he was my age, and you’re certainly not the first person to tell me that it didn’t work :/ Dentists are scary places ?

I see a different dentist now, had about 11 dentists since my teens at the practice I go to, I see a NHS dentist, very lucky to still be able to have a NHS dentist. had I my current dentist when I was a teen, she would have explained to me and my parents about the operation better to help bring my teeth together, i never did have the operation.

The dentist I did have as a teen retired due to ill health.

Why don't you go to an orthodontist and see what your options are?
You're not forced to have any treatment if you don't want to, especially orthodontic treatment. At least then you can make an informed choice on what you want to do.

Why don't you go to an orthodontist and see what your options are?
You're not forced to have any treatment if you don't want to, especially orthodontic treatment. At least then you can make an informed choice on what you want to do.
Thank you, you’re definitely right! It will hopefully be worth seeing what options I have :)

Back