• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of dentist- rotting teeth

X

xxellie89xx

This is a photo of my tooth- just wondering what happen if I go to the dentist about this tooth. Will it get taken out? I have a fear of having teeth taken out. A fear of being in pain. A fear of talking to people I don't know and a fear of laying down flat. I have a lot of anxiety issues. I worry about the whole thing of not being able to eat or drink after having a tooth out- I am a diabetic.

The second photo shows on on my bottom teeth, at the front, it has a tiny hole. Not sure how well it will be seen.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 63
  • gggggggg.jpg
    gggggggg.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
hi

i've had 3 teeth with exactly that much come off and i never had pain with any of them, one of them i had a root canal, one he put some white bonding (?) stuff on and the other had a filling. the one with the bonding stuff put on had to be pulled out as it was decayed pretty bad. i know how you feel with the anxiety i suffer with that too.

i don't know if ive helped much but thats what happened to me, i never had pain with any of them.

just wondering what happen if I go to the dentist about this tooth. Will it get taken out? I have a fear of having teeth taken out.

It is difficult to say. With an X-ray it would be easier to evaluate. However, dentistry has developed many techniques and technologies that allow to preserve teeth.

A fear of being in pain.
During the treatment it is the dentist's responsibility that you will not feel pain nor discomfort (like pressure). The post operative pain can be decreased and sometimes even completely avoided. However, since diabetes causes slow healing of the tissue, it is important that it remains balanced and controlled for a long period of time, at least three months, before any treatment.

[/QUOTE]
A fear of talking to people I don't know
Well, it would be best to know your treating dentist first but it is also very useful to get to know the assistant who will be present in the treatment itself. It takes some time of course but not that much. If you have a good feeling about a person, it will come at once and you should follow your instinct. In many cases it takes only one appointment to establish enough trust.

and a fear of laying down flat.
In many cases, especially when treating the lower teeth, it is possible to be in a half-laying position.

I have a lot of anxiety issues.
In your thread you stated very specific issues and concerns. That's wonderful and you should do the same with your dentist. It is better to dissolve the big problem into smaller ones and to deal with them one by one.
Remember that every problem has a solution. It might take some time and patience but you can do it.