• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of Extractions

M

mattz1212

Hi all, I ran across this forum and I thought it was great, hopefully it can help me cope with my problem. Just today I went into the dentist office for the first time in a few years, before that I had only been in there for one exam and one filling dating back about 8-9 years. I had a limited exam on where I thought you be the area of focus should be and as it turns out I'm going to need to have two teeth extracted. I am certain that there are two other teeth on the other side of my mouth that are going to meet the same fate and probably there is going to be decent work in fillings from there.

My problem is not the pain, because I have suffered a fair amount of pain in my mouth before and for the most part I can handle it. Also this dentistery I have put good faith into and firmly believe it will make it as painless as possible.

It's the fact that I am only 19 and I already need to have teeth extracted that is probleming me to the point of losing a good amount of sleep at night. I feel incredibly embarassed because I believe that I am too young to be having these problems. The last dentist I went to would literally make fun of me both to my face and what he thought was behind my back. Realistically the drilling, extractions, and such don't bother me much but I've avoided going to the dentist for years based on that label of being someone who is "too young to have these problems". I know I hold the label regardless but just hearing it to your face from an expert in the field almost tears your heart in half on the spot.

Hi and welcome:welcome:.I am sorry your last dentist was so unproffesional but age really ahs nothing to do with it.There are so many dentists out there who do not judge...after all we are aware of the fact we need treatment or else we woulden't be there.
I am 30 years old(I like to think still young)and I had all 14 teeth on top extracted but it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Do some research and fing a compasionate and caring dentist,these days I do believe they are the majority.It's hard going back to a dentist when the last one said such things,but once you find the right dentist,it makes all the difference in the world:)
also the first appointment is never like we imagine it to be.
You have allready made the first step by posting here so Yay for you:jump:
Your in my thoughts.

I would report that dentist to someone. Or even start a website letting people know who he is. There is no reason to tolerate such behavoir from your dentist. You definately need to take your business someplace else and warn anyone else you know about the dentist.
That ticks me off!!!
Why else would you be in the office in the first place unless you had problems. Does this guy really think for a second you are there for his company!
Don't worry about the extractions and do not let it make you think there is no hope. I was not born with the best teeth either. I know many people that have not seen the dentist in years and still have no cavities or maybe one.
In fact when my wife and I finally went four years ago we both where in the same boat of having not been in years. I had about 15 cavities and 2 root canals. She had maybe 5 small cavities. Neither one of us flossed at the time.
Anyway don't give up hope, and don't let that bother you. Take care of what you have now and PLEASE FIND ANOTHER DENTIST! Did I say that enough.:)

Back