• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

fear of getting a tooth pulled

R

rosepetale

Help.... I have the biggest fear of going to the dentist :( I have to get one of my bottom teeth removed tomorrow and I am so scared, worried and stressed over it. I am worried about the pain and worried about how it will feel once the numbness wears off?? can someone please help..:redface:

I felt the first way before my first extraction. But it's really a fast, painless, and easy procedure. It usually takes only a few minutes and should be completely painless. There actually isn't any pulling or tugging-- instead, the dentist will rock your tooth from side to side until the gums naturally release their grip. Often the tooth just pops out by itself after a few pushes. You'll be completely numb before starting the procedure.

For both of the teeth I had extracted, there was absolutely no pain afterwards. I took a couple of ibuprofin/Advil mostly for the headache I had worked myself into. But I never had any pain. I actually felt a lot better having the bad tooth out of my head.

You should plan on eating lots of soft food afterward for the first couple of days. Pudding, yogurt, applesauce, that sort of thing. And, follow the instructions your dentist gives you closely. (No smoking, no drinking straws, etc). If you do that, you should have a simple easy recovery, with no pain.

I felt the first way before my first extraction. But it's really a fast, painless, and easy procedure. It usually takes only a few minutes and should be completely painless. There actually isn't any pulling or tugging-- instead, the dentist will rock your tooth from side to side until the gums naturally release their grip. Often the tooth just pops out by itself after a few pushes. You'll be completely numb before starting the procedure.

For both of the teeth I had extracted, there was absolutely no pain afterwards. I took a couple of ibuprofin/Advil mostly for the headache I had worked myself into. But I never had any pain. I actually felt a lot better having the bad tooth out of my head.

You should plan on eating lots of soft food afterward for the first couple of days. Pudding, yogurt, applesauce, that sort of thing. And, follow the instructions your dentist gives you closely. (No smoking, no drinking straws, etc). If you do that, you should have a simple easy recovery, with no pain.

Thank you steve I am a little calmer now :)

Thank you Steve for your advice it has really helped me :) I have had a very bad experience with a dentist I used to go to so since then i try to stay away from them but sadly this time I can't :(

Hi Rosepetale,

MY best advise is share your concern with the treating dentist/oral surgeon. There are many ways to decrease post operative pain. The most important one is to take appropriate painkillers (like steve from Cleveland mentioned: Advil and Ibuprofen) right after the treatment, before the anesthesia wears off.
The dentist has to use the proper surgical technique as well. Sometimes antibiotics can also reduce the post operative pain (if the infection is spread out). I recommend my patients to rinse their mouth with Corsodyl or with salt water for couple of days because it keeps the wound clean and improves the healing.
All the best.

Back