• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of getting numb - extraction in a weak :(

T

ToothFairy09

Hello everyone, this is my first thread here.

Just a little back up - I was not anxious about the dentists my whole life.
It happened less then a year ago.
I suffer from health anxiety, but I found that I cope with other symptoms well - which I can't say when it comes to my teeth.

I have problem with my ,,madibular second molar,, - left. It was filled 8 years ago, 10 months ago, the filling fell. Few hours later, I was in agonizing pain.
They took me to ER, where the dentist put toxavit and said to come back in 2 weeks.
Well, I didn't come back, because I was terrified - few years ago, I had 4.5 hours surgery when they extracted my upper fifth tooth. And now they wanted to do a root canal, which was a no-no for me.

Finaly, I had a courage to go to the dentist one more time.
They gave me antibiotics and we decided that I want it out - I don't want root canal.

I spoke to the oral surgeon, and told him about my previous experience and that I am very, very anxious just when I see the needle for the anaesthesia. He told me not to worry.

Well, when they started the procedure, first of all, for some reason, the anaesthesia didn't work quite well.

At that point, I had already drunk all the prescribed antibiotics, and I wasn't in pain.
Even though we dealed for a surgery (yeh, incision and all that), the surgeon choosed to pull my tooth out - and it made me even more shaky!!

I had rapid heart beat, I was soaked from swelling, and my legs and arms trumbled :(
Not to mention that I barely breathed :(

He tried to pull it out - but ouch, that was so painful!! He used one more shot for making my tooth go numb - but no - I felt everything. He succeed only to brake my poor tooth, and got one piece out - he was struggling to pull it. And he couldn't, which I don't blame him - they tried to pull my upper fifth before - and I ended up with maxillofascial surgeon next to my chair.

So, he said nope, we won't do this today, go home, take another course of antibiotics, and see you in 10 days.

Well, I wasn't in pain before I went to the dentist, but now I am in so much pain :(
I take Macropen (midecamycin) 3 times a day (now it's day 2, first pill 36 hours ago), drank ketoprofen yesterday, today I got Nymer (nimesulide) because I was told by my family doctor that it's less dangerous to my digestive system, and I take probiotics.

I am not sure if I should still feel this much pain - I don't know how much time the antibiotics need to work - because I was drinking double the maximum dose of ketoprofen, and the pain wouldn't go away - all of it!!

I am deadly scared, just imagining that I sould undergo the whole pulling thing, makes me shaky :( :( :(

And when they numb me, it's the scariest part - I feel like I am going to sufocate :(

Please any advice how to relax, and if it's ok for antibiotics not to fully work 36 hours later...

P.S. They said I have ,,infection,, under the tooth. No abscess etc. Just infection.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I am sorry you had to suffer this. The dentist was quite correct in stopping and having you go back. Antibiotics sometimes don't feel as if they are working until you take the last one. They continue working the week after you stop taking them so don't worry, they will at some point calm things down.

The point of giving you the antibiotics is to calm things down enough so that next time you will be able to get numb. Ask them to test you before they start the extraction. If you don't feel numb don't let them continue.

When you go back the antibiotics should have calmed things down, when you have an infection the nerve can get inflamed and this is when it can be hard to get numb. In a lot of cases this is quite possible but in some as in yours it is so angry and inflamed it needs the antibiotics to settle it.

My best wishes to you, try not to get too worked up which is very hard not to do, I think things will probably go much better for you when you return. The dentist sound as if they were very good with you, explain how nervous you feel when you go back I am sure they will understand and help you as much as they can :butterfly:

Thanks so much!!

I am not sure if I mentioned - my nerve is dead, I had toxavit in my tooth for 3 weeks.
So, I am in less pain today, I went from 400gr ketoprofen a day, to 1 pill of nimesulide a day, I believe I am more afraid it will hurt me badly, so I drink pills before it gets to that point :)

I have habit to squeeze my teeth during sleep, and I had terrible few nights - I would fall asleep pain-free and wake up in agonising pain :(

I will see my doc. in Monday and I hope it all goes good.

It's my birthday today, so I hope that at least I will have some peace today ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::happybirthday:

If you are clenching and grinding your teeth to the point that you are working up in so much pain then tell the dentist and ask them if they could make you a mouth guard to wear at night. I recently got one after years of damaging my teeth with the grinding and clenching my jaw.

Have a good day, what is left of it and good luck :clover::clover::clover: with your appointment. Let us know how you get on, I will cross everything for you that it goes well :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::butterfly:

Back