• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of injections

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Are you scared of dental injections? Vote now, or leave a post in this thread.

to follow up on my vote (fear of injections generally)

i really really hate getting injections in my skin, and i absolutly abhore dental injections. badly.
but i have found that with nitrous oxide i have almost NO fear of dental injections. and i mean that. almost none. nitrous is the best thing i have ever discovered when it comes to dental work.
also...the dentist that i am trying to go to now, uses a machine called 'the wand'. :-*
i love that thing. it takes away most of the fear of the dentist slipping or shaking or pushing it out too fast or something.
for the people that don't know what it is, it is a machine that delivers the novacaine through a little wand that the dentist just places in your gum. the flow of the meds is controlled very carefully by the machine. with nitrous and the wand put together, i am a happy girl.

I am normally not scared  :scared: of injections, but when I recently had a wisdom tooth extraction, my dentist gave me five injections all over that side, and for one of them, he kept the needle in my mouth for over a minute?! Is this normal? And he used two syringes full of the stuff. The really funny thing though is that despite this, the numbness wore off after only 3 hours. For most dental work these days though, I try and tell myself that no matter how painful it is, it only lasts for a few minutes for months/years? of relief. Sometimes it works. Still waiting for the relief from this one though.  ;D

I'm not scared of dental injections (or any kind really) because I have never experienced pain from a dental injection. I always brace myself to feel sth though, as people go on about how awful they can be all the time. Despite bracing, I seem to be good at relaxing and I think this helps.
I prefer to have topical numbing cream first as well.

A friend over lunch recently said: 'how on earth can it not be painful if a needle is going into your gum?' Her daughter had recently had a bad injection experience.

So I definitely think the Wand is a good idea, if only to stop people complaining in front of their children that dental injections are always painful. 'You'll be all right once you've had the injection'

Typically, as my worst experience was being refused anaesthetic for fillings, it would be strange if I feared being numbed up.

i put not really although having one in my bottom jaw frightens mean due to a bad experience. yesterday i had about six in there and only really felt a little sting twice. the first time i needed one i told him they scared me and i have magic cream first now :redface:

I used to be scared of them from a very painful injection I experienced when I was about six, although the dentist I had prepared me for it saying it would feel like a "bee-sting" which could have made me biased towards it but that's exactly how it felt to my memory which is way worse then a "pinch".  The dentist I have now cured me of that fear though, she doesn't use the wand or numbing cream at all though, she's just really really really good at it.  I was cured with the first injection she gave me (which was the first one I had received since, which had been about 10 or 11 years ago) for a filling cause she warned me of the pinch and the stinging that might come but it was surprisingly totally painless.  I have only had one painful injection since, which case she stopped immediately and waited for the anesthesia that she had already given me to kick in enough for her to finish adminstering the rest of the anesthesia painlessly again. Now I'm ok with injections as long as she is the one doing it!  Now it's the drill I fear! :rolleyes: It never ends!

NOT AT ALL i wouyld have then for a check up if at all possible, HATE the feeling of people fiddling in my mouth and would rather die than have any drilling without one. They are a blessed relief, the second you feel the numbness you know the pain is over. EMBRACE the local anesthetic, it is your dearest friend! x

at my first injection, i was really scared, but, after following a 2 week treatment, my fear vanished totally.
I can't say that it bothers me a bit, but the fear is gone! :)

I have put that I am scared of dental injections. The thought of injections in the mouth horrify me. I have no idea why because I have only ever had 1 experience of that, and I had no real pain, but it frightened the hell out of me. I have never been back to a dentist since. I wish I could pull myself out of this phobia.

After a bad expierence a couple of years ago I am petrified of dental injections-Normal ones don't bother me but I am Petrified of dental ones! :scared:

i hate needels or anything forgin that comes into my mouth but the nitros gas helps alot :)

im like :scared: with dental injections but other injections im ok with.

I'mnot afraid if if they are just a quick pinch, quick sting or completely painless.....the worst one I have ever had was in my big toe - went on forever....I usually find dental injections 100% comfortable .....but it does depend on the dentist's technique and the position in the mouth, as readers of this site are aware.

Because I found it so bad though, I'd think twice about whether one was necessary in my toe again!

i just dont like the dental injections coz they hurt other injections like vaccines don hurt much at all.

Am terrified of all injections, and if I have to go to hospital for a blood test for cholesterol or something else, they always have to have a bed waiting for me. It's just something that runs in our family, we all pass out when we see a needle, and unfortunately, it's passed down to the next generation as well. When my sister was in hospital recently and her eldest son visited her first time, he was flat out on the floor. Goodness knows what's going to happen when his wife has their first child in a couple of months!

I hate needles :scared: Can't cope with Dental Injections at all.
Dunno what i'm goona do,when i need some :(

I am NOT scared of needles and injections in general... blood draws and immunisations don't worry me at all, and my former dentist was very good at shots so you never felt a thing. But the anaesthetic they inject terrifies me because it feels like my tongue is ten thousand times too big and I'm going to choke on it. (I know it's not really any different, but it FEELS like it is!)

Back