• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of over treatment

NervousUSA

NervousUSA

I first became fearful of over treatment because when I was growing up, preventative wisdom teeth removal for all young people was being treated as "mandatory" in my area, usually with sedation or general anesthetic. It seemed to me impossible everyone would really need this, and if so, what do people do where it is not available, what did people do before it was available, etc. I refused the removal, and now it seems my instinct was correct, as recommendation for removal of wisdom teeth has since changed and been reduced in the USA and reduced even more in the UK, here is an article about the dentist who changed the thinking about that in the USA https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookou...e-against-wisdom-teeth-removal-105243007.html and his paper referenced in the article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1963310/. Here is another presentation of his about his criticism of practices with wisdom teeth https://www.nationaloralhealthconference.com/docs/presentations/2012/05-02/Jay Friedman.pdf and another article about changing thinking about wisdom teeth https://health.howstuffworks.com/we...h-can-stay-says-oral-surgery-organization.htm

Now I have noticed something else. When I go in for a cleaning, my wisdom teeth are not cleaned. This has been the case at two different dental offices. They hygienist doesn't touch them. They just clean my other teeth. I now have a gum infection/pocket next to one of my wisdom teeth and will need to get both on that side removed. I wonder if this is caused by it not being professionally cleaned, ever, and if this was it being treated as "destined for removal". Otherwise the tooth is fine, no cavities or decay. It really scares me to think that I might have been given the need for this intense removal/surgery by professionals making a choice only to clean my other teeth.

I also worry I am being overtreated when it comes to the need to replace missing teeth. I have retained baby teeth in the place of the second premolars on my lower jaws, and I have been told by two dentists, and the common line by all dental offices on their websites, is that they cannot be extracted without being replaced with either bridges or implants without detrimental consequences. However, I know these treatments, especially implants, are a recent invention, and my mom and dad are both missing molars with no replacement and no issues, my mom's best friend has the same congenital missing teeth as me with no replacement and no issues, and another friend of mine is missing a molar with no replacement and no issues. It also doesn't make sense to me that when I am told I need an implant I am told it is to prevent bone loss, but I am also told that I could have a bridge which doesn't prevent bone loss. I am afraid I am being pushed into terrifying and expensive treatments I don't want or need so dentists can make money. I really wish I could just not replace my retained baby teeth and I don't understand why it was ok for older people but dentists now say I can't. Here is an article about overtreatment where the author is a dentist who does think it is better not to replace a missing tooth than get a bridge

This fear of being overtreated is one of the main roots of my personal fear of dentists. I personally fear and distrust them. In the past few years I have dealt with the refusal to remove my painful tooth without me agreeing to replace it with implants, a bridge, or a flipper, and extreme pressure from dentists to go through with this procedure, including yelling at me, writing a treatment plan against my will containing procedures I don't want to do, including general anesthesia for a single implant, and a dentist grabbing a mirror and pulling back my lip and getting loud telling me to remove and replace my tooth because it is ugly. I also believe the mirror dentist was missing an upper premolar herself, I saw the gap. I don't know what to think anymore.

Forgot to include this in my original post. This is something else that makes me feel I may be being overtreated. Here are NHS guidelines for wisdom tooth removal which are against preventative removal and state plaque formation on wisdom teeth shouldn't be treated with removal. I think this means if I was in the UK it might be possible to have this issue treated with cleaning, not the removal treatment I am getting here in the USA? https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta1/chapter/1-Guidance

Also an article against preventative wisdom tooth removal by the American Public Health Association which starts out "excessive health care in the united states has been documented by numerous studies"

I found that article here

As a young adult/teen I was so terrified by my dentists extreme pressure that I have a preventative removal of all my wisdom teeth, and they way they tried to claim it was mandatory for everyone, and the only option was surgical removal of everything before eruption, that I became too frightened to see any dentist until my 30s. I now feel that dentist didn't serve me well, were not right, and have left me with a lasting fear of dentists personally and overtreatment. This may have increased my extreme fear of anesthesia too.

Sorry to write a long rant, I feel so stressed and alone. I just kind of want to let it out in a safe space.

@NervousUSA

Sounds to me like your only option is to find a dentist you trust . At the end of the day they are your teeth and only treatment they can perform is what you can agree to.

Back