• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of rejection and shame

• Thread starter krlovesherkids777
  • Start date
krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone out there fear their dentist office/dentist/hygenist,, will not like them, not want them as patients, think they are crazy, ridicolous, etc etc.. I found a new dentist I like which is good at the injections and seems nice and pretty easy going.. and I really like the hygenist,, the office gals seem nice.. I have this fear they don't want me back or as a patient.. I know it may be totally ridicoulous but does anyone else feel like this and what do you do to overcome it?

p.s. They have given me absolutely no indiation this would be true and quite the opposite. very warm, friendly, approachable.. but its just my own self esteem, shame, fear of rejection ... ughhh.

ALL. THE. TIME... even after almost 10 years going to the same dentist. I even joke with him about how I know I'm his worst patient. It has gotten better over time.

ALL. THE. TIME... even after almost 10 years going to the same dentist. I even joke with him about how I know I'm his worst patient. It has gotten better over time.

Lots of patients think they are the worst but they aren't at all. I have seen a few patients who count as the worse and I remember them well. Such as the following:
The patient that had broken the last dentist nose, expelled from a boarding school for problem teens.
The patient that I literally touched his nose and he threw up.
The patient that pulled out his penis and masturbated in my office.
Unless you are one of the above then you don't qualify as the worst patient.

Even though I been going to the same dental pratice 33 years (first appointment before I was one year old) had current dentist 6 years keep telling her I am the worst patient and worst teeth she has seen.

Hello -

Yep! Totally! I really get this, even after 5 years and really bonding with the people at my dentist's clinic I still occasionally feel that way. Feeling like this is very common in anxious patients I think.

The only answer I have is to keep going, and keep seeing that they are happy to see you and welcoming. Over time, with repeated good experiences, it gets easier and you will start to feel comfortable with them.

Also, what comfortdentist said ? There are much, much worse patients out there than those of us who are just frightened. Yes, we can be high-maintenance and sometimes we behave oddly, but there's no malice in it. In my experience, as long as you are struggling but trying, people see that and respond very well. They've been nothing but supportive with me.

OMG, comfortdentist, I *really* hope you called the police on that dude! ?

Back