• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

fearing what i will find out this Thursday

N

nutzforcats

I'm having a cleaning and check-up this Thursday- I am trying to remain calm as I am getting more comfortable for a cleaning, it's the xrays and finding out what needs to be done that stresses me a lot- I know I need at least one filling but am worried there could be more (even though I floss/clean very well each day) and was also told I could need another root canal and crown done on another tooth. I had a root canal and crown done on a bottom tooth in Feb. and while I was fearful, I made it through and was brave and was able to get it all done (didn't like how long it took but it's over with). I don't have good dental coverage so also fear the cost of having to get another, already put out over $1000 this year for my crown, is also a big worry. What helps you stay calm?

Thanks, Tammy

Hi Tammy! First congrats on starting your journey! And I totally get what you mean about the cost, I'm about to start a large and costly journey myself and I think the cost of it all is bothering me more than my dental phobia! But some things I do to take my mind off of it all is I like to read peoples success stories on here, makes me feel like there's hope after all. And I also try to do things I enjoy like crafting, reading, and finding new things on netflix to watch lol. Another thing I do is try to keep myself as busy as possible leading up to my appointment.

When you start dwelling on the fear, do something you like that will distract you.That works a little for me.Best of luck , it is never as bad as you imagine .When I attended the dentist after years of not going due to a severe phobia, I only need two fillings and a good clean (had worked myself up to thinking I needed a complete mouth restoration).... you will come out feeling happy and relieved.Good luck :0)

thanks and good luck with your dental work. I do try to remind myself to stay calm and to do things I enjoy when anxiety tells me it may go bad. I know it won't be as bad as my fear so I am sure I will be relieved when it's all over with.

Congrats for the first step, its your health to be proud your taking the steps for it

Anything can be fixed it comes down to its just money

i went through needing a wisdom tooth extraction and having to have a bunch of fillings done 3 years ago, and have been seeing the dentist once or twice a year since then. I thought I was done with having any major work done, then a molar broke and had to have a root canal and crown in jan.- thought I'd never need one of those! I made it through and while I don't have as much fear as I used to, I still can't relax going to the dentist.

I made it through today okay, abit nervous but better than I have in the past. I also had really good news- no root canal and crown (one was enough for one year, turns out that other dentist was wrong and my gum swelling is gone and I've had no pain) needed and I also don't need any fillings this year either, yeah! Happy news as I was fearing I'd need at least 1-3, one she is watching but it's very small so can wait to see how it looks in a year on the xray. Also said my gums are very healthy, watching my molars but are very good as well. My mom has gum disease so it has always been abit of a worry for me. Now I can work on other issues/health things.

Back