• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feel like I have taken a step back again

F

fidelity

Hello,

I have been on here in the past and did visit a dentis a couple of years ago and was advised I needed quite a bit of work.

I have a couple of issues that I know I need to sort out in my head, i.e. the dentist/dental nurse will be horrified at the sight of my teeth and disgusted, being totally scared full stop not wanting to go to a local dentist as they may know me and I have hidden the sight of my teeth agghhh

Anyway I plucked up the courage to call a couple of local dentists this morning to try an get an NHS dentist (I have no toothache at all so thought while I have no pain it may be better to make an appointment) - first couple full, then eventually a dentist with availability - registered my name great - but then I fell to bits, I told the receptionist that I had a complete dental phobia, well that was it she asked "what do you mean?" the worst question I could have been asked. I explained that I am scared of the dentist and she just didn't give me any encouragement in anyway or make me feel comfortable that they maybe had a dentist in the practice who would best fit my needs.

Needless to say I would call back to make an appointment - I feel a total idiot now after getting myself motivated to do something about this.

I personally feel that I can't go there - but should I ignore the response from the receptionist as the dentist may be really good with me, or do I put myself through more negative responses from receptionists until I find the right practice.

Please can anybody give me some best advice?

Kindest Regards

I personally would ignore how the receptionist was with you and go and see how the actual dentist is with you once you explain the situation. The receptionist at my local dentist is a young girl and very brusque but my dentist is lovely. The first time I saw the dentist the first thing I actually told her was how scared I was and how long it had been since i had seen a dentist because of the fear and then burst into tears. She was wonderful, she calmed me down and explained that at the first appointment all she would do is take a look in my mouth, no fingers, no instruments and no judgement. Once the first appointment is out of the way the MAJOR fear is gone and it gets easier every single time you go, it's taken me almost a year of treatments but last week at my appointment I realised that for the first time I had no no fear at all even though I wasn't sure what she was going to do! (It turned out that it was just a fitting for my new partial denture so I was in and out in 2minutes)

Thanks daggieskye, you have done so well - I think tears will be flowing but I am going to do this my goal at the moment is to get there before the end of this year to at least a consultation and then fingers crossed I'll be ok to move on to the next stage the work that will be needed :(

I know work is needed but I think my biggest fear is letting somebody else look in my mouth :shame:

I've done it, I have made an appointment for 7th November - I did infact call another dentist practice and they are very good with nervous patients pheww... I need to be there 15 mins before the appointment to complete a medical questionnaire - I know from going a few years ago will need a couple or root canals and extractions and have read up on some threads on here and everybody is so supportive and helpful whic makes me feel better.

When I visit on the 7th and they give me a dental plan, will they suggest which is to be done first - extraction, root canal or clean or can I opt for whichever first, I don't really want the most painful to be first as I don't want it to put me off going back but in a way I would rather have that one out of the way aggghhh

Can anybody give me advise on this please?

Thanks

Hi well done for making the app. It is important that you start with the small stuff or the things you feel you would like to start with so that you can build up a trusting relationship with the dentist as you go along. As each appointment is completed your confidence builds.

What you need to remember at all times is that you have to give consent for them to even look into your mouth and you are in charge of what happens. The dentist will help you to get the treatment you need and make it as easy as they can for you with your help. It takes you both working together for it to be successful. Explain how you feel to the dentist and what you are afraid of, this will help them address your concerns.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Yeah I was literally terrified the first time I went, crying, shaking,feeling ashamed, feeling sick but it really wasn't as bad as I anticipated so yeah please be brave and go, I know that's easy for me to say now I've done it but it really is worth it and I really do wish I'd done it sooner. You made a really big brave step coming on here to post cos I know how scary even just talking about it is/was but you just need to keep being brave and you won't regret it
:)

Back