• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

feel my health is in serious danger due to my phobia

K

kaiser32

Hi I am looking for help in my area (fife) I have a mouth full of rotten and broken teeth some of which are completely broken below the gum line, I went to the dentist a few years ago where I started to have some of the problems put right, I am terrified dentists but managed to have a couple of rotten teeth removed, but after a rear tooth was removed I noticed some of the tooth had been left in,that and the fact that some of the teeth are now broken below the gum line have left me really scared of going to have further work done! The fact that some broken teeth have now almost been closed over by my gums suggests to me that surgery may be necessary. To make things worse, a few months ago I experienced an excruciating tooth ache which has resulted in an abcess on my lower jaw, while it was only painful at the time and is now more uncomfortable than anything else, I have noticed it getting larger and have been told that it can have serious consequences left untreated, I am ashamed of my oral health but my fear is standing in the way of me getting treatment, I know most of them will need removed but even the thought of having a dentist asses them is giving me sleepless nights, really scared of the dentist but now I'm also terrified of the consequences of not doing something! Help! I have been told that in some cases people have been put under to have their teeth fixed but not sure if this is still done? Really need some advice on who to talk to eand any information would be appreciated

Hi Kaiser, and welcome to the forum
There are many options for sedation during dental care, whether that is something like a valium (oral sedation) or IV sedation or even general anesthesia if that is what you want. General anesthesia would be something you are more likely to need an oral surgeon for, not just a dentist.
You should not be ashamed, not matter how bad your teeth are they will not be the worst the dentist has seen.

Hi. There are many many options for sedation for you. There are dentists that will provide something to help relax you prior to going in; you can also request to be completely put under. You just need to find the right dentist who will understand your phobia. Dentists deal with this type of patient everyday, just be sure to express your fears and anxiety. Be assertive.

You have to get through this so that you can be healthy. Dental health is important to your overall health. Make a phone call today - stop putting it off. Express your concerns outright and ask about options for keeping you sedated. They are providing a service and you are a customer. You can do this!

Hi Kaiser,
I'm in Scotland too and I know it's hard to find a dentist who caters for phobic patients. Ask your friends and family if they can recommend a dentist they've seen, one who is patient and gentle. Sometimes you can be referred to your local hospital if you need treated under anaesthetic.
You can't feel worse than you feel now. You will feel better when you take the first step and make an appointment. You can read all the posts on this forum, and people say that it's never as bad as they expected.
Good luck!

Would like say thanks for the 3 replies I had, finally plucked up the courage to go to the dentist today, needing lots of work done starting with 2 extractions on monday, not out of the woods yet but feel better knowing ive taken the first steps, on antibiotics just now and hoping i will start to feel a lot better after all the work I need done is completed, wish me luck x

Good luck, I hope everything went okay today! I just joined here, and your story was comforting to me because I have similar fears over my own dental health. I know I need work done but have been too terrified to see anybody for years now. Well done getting the courage to go, I think you're really brave to finally face it!

Well a little update, thats the first 2 teeth out, apart from a little pain with the injections, wasn't painful at all just uncomfortable as I was still a bit on edge, been in agony since, but am managing it with painkillers and hoping it eases up soon as it's been 4 days now. Dunno if that's normal for difficult extractions? Got a follow up appointment monday, thinking at least 7 more will need to come out at the front top, but been told they should come out easier with less pain! Anyone in my position, please take the plunge and go to the dentist, yes I'm sore, but can only imagine how sore I could be in future if I didn't sort out the rot now

Well a little update, thats the first 2 teeth out, apart from a little pain with the injections, wasn't painful at all just uncomfortable as I was still a bit on edge, been in agony since, but am managing it with painkillers and hoping it eases up soon as it's been 4 days now. Dunno if that's normal for difficult extractions? Got a follow up appointment monday, thinking at least 7 more will need to come out at the front top, but been told they should come out easier with less pain! Anyone in my position, please take the plunge and go to the dentist, yes I'm sore, but can only imagine how sore I could be in future if I didn't sort out the rot now

I hope you're feeling better by now, how did your follow up appointment go?

Back