• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feel really depressed again

R

Russell73

Hi I just come on here as I dont know where to turn I was homeless for 10 almost and my teeth have suffered badly I have been feeling really depressed and suffering from thoughts about ending my life I have had 1 attempt which I was found and they called and ambulance I been working for the last 6 months now but really cant afford my teeth to get fixed just dont know what to do

Russell73,

I'm sorry for the hard time you have been through, you sound like an extremely resiliant and strong person to go through homelessness and depression and getting back on your feet working now! There are some resources for low cost and free dental that are out there , are you in the US?

No I'm not unfortunately I'm In london but I like to thank you for your reply

Russell73, Yes indeed. You have already shown remarkable strength and the fact that depression has resurfaced is part of the disease, nothing that you have done wrong. Definitely you don't deserve to suffer from it. Can you get help with this first?

I am trying but I'm not settled at the moment I dont no where I stay from one day to the next at the moment so I'm finding it difficult to get sorted thank you for your reply

Russell73..

Have you tried calling the Samaritans line? they are a great resource and have a hotline and can probably direct you to some great resources

I do call them most of the time and they are good actually or I go to a & e if things get really bad

It sounds like you are managing your stuff very well and have certainly come very far on your journey. I wish we were more up to speed with mental health. Plus you are working too. It just seems like you are doing all the right things. You deserve better than what seems to be available.

I wish I could contribute some advice, really I do. My doctor recently prescribed a book (The 4 Pillar Plan by Dr Chatterjee.) Now, don't get me wrong, it's a great book but much of it is common sense anyway and I struggle to see how it can help when people are struggling very much. I was also "prescribed" 10 000 steps a day in nature. There's not much nature left round here and I'm agoraphobic anyway! I do appreciate the doc's intentions but the only way I get my walks is during darkness and "nature" is walking near all the building sites that used to be trees and fields! Exercise is good but I've lost count of the times I've had to explain to police and security people that I'm just out for a walk. I can't imagine London has much left in the way of green space?

Also group walks are good but they are hard to find in winter. Do you have any kind of support network? I found some help at a community mental health project that offers activities from group chats to yoga and all sorts of stuff. These kinds of groups struggle to survive though, as they are charities and funding is poor.

I even notice that many churches offer kinds of outreach help, without the expectation that you want to join a religion. Again though, these seem to be getting more scarce.

I find growing plants to be a kind of therapy. Even if you can't do home-based growing, there are a few community projects that have good plans and need volunteers. All these things are good but I find them hard to commit to if I'm not at least starting from a decent base-line of wellbeing.

Back to the dentistry issue though... I wonder if you can find a doctor who can help. Sometimes they do see the whole picture and may be able to make some kind of helpful plan. In an ideal world...

Russell73, I really wish you better luck in your search for help. Sorry I don't have much in the way of advice. Best wishes in your continued search.

Hi Russeli73,

it looks like you are really trying hard and doing what you can. I can't even imagine how difficult life must be but you are fighting hard and I am relieved you do. Really glad you are in touch with Samaritans and a & e.
Are you in pain currently?

You mentioned you can't afford your teeth right now. Have you got an assessment somewhere already and got a treatment plan?

Hang in there. Life is really tough, but you have a bunch of friends here now. Feel free to write and vent and keep us posted. Hugs.

Thank you for your reply I appreciate it I'm not in any pain at all but I know I get talked about at work and when I'm out which makes me not want to go out at all so I sit in my room I rent when I'm not at work which isn't helping at all I dont have many friends any more but thank you so much

It sounds like you are managing your stuff very well and have certainly come very far on your journey. I wish we were more up to speed with mental health. Plus you are working too. It just seems like you are doing all the right things. You deserve better than what seems to be available.

I wish I could contribute some advice, really I do. My doctor recently prescribed a book (The 4 Pillar Plan by Dr Chatterjee.) Now, don't get me wrong, it's a great book but much of it is common sense anyway and I struggle to see how it can help when people are struggling very much. I was also "prescribed" 10 000 steps a day in nature. There's not much nature left round here and I'm agoraphobic anyway! I do appreciate the doc's intentions but the only way I get my walks is during darkness and "nature" is walking near all the building sites that used to be trees and fields! Exercise is good but I've lost count of the times I've had to explain to police and security people that I'm just out for a walk. I can't imagine London has much left in the way of green space?

Also group walks are good but they are hard to find in winter. Do you have any kind of support network? I found some help at a community mental health project that offers activities from group chats to yoga and all sorts of stuff. These kinds of groups struggle to survive though, as they are charities and funding is poor.

I even notice that many churches offer kinds of outreach help, without the expectation that you want to join a religion. Again though, these seem to be getting more scarce.

I find growing plants to be a kind of therapy. Even if you can't do home-based growing, there are a few community projects that have good plans and need volunteers. All these things are good but I find them hard to commit to if I'm not at least starting from a decent base-line of wellbeing.

Back to the dentistry issue though... I wonder if you can find a doctor who can help. Sometimes they do see the whole picture and may be able to make some kind of helpful plan. In an ideal world...

Russell73, I really wish you better luck in your search for help. Sorry I don't have much in the way of advice. Best wishes in your continued search.
I would like to thank you for your message it was nice to read thank you

Hi,

Is getting treatment in a dental school an option? That should lower the costs.

Hi
Thank you for your reply I appreciate it I'm really not sure about that I think I need too much work on them to be honest with you

I am proud you were able to pull yourself out of homelessness. If I got that down, I don’t know I would have the strength to recover like you did, and the sad irony is it is easier to get a good paying job if you already have one.

Back when I started out of college nobody wanted to hire me. Now I get five or six recruiters a week offering me work in my field. One thing I did was put my profile on Linked In, and that has made jobs come to me.

What are your current job? I am so happy you are working now. I only hope if you are not at your greatest capacity that a promotion comes your way. You see life can always get better.

One thing is for certain, and that is if things are so bad you feel like killing your self, it is better to live because things can only get better when you are at your worst.

As for your teeth, in time they will get sorted.

I know London has NHS. Does that cover dental?

As for toothbrush and toothpaste, do you have the basics at the moment?

Russell, sorry to read you get talked about at work and I think the people really don't know what you have been through and most importantly, what you have achieved. Going from homelessness to a job and a room and surviving being suicidal is huge.
Now I think tackling your dental stuff might be possible if you really wanted to. You might not be able to get it done all at once but you still can start to do or plan smaller steps forward if you wish to. So far it sounds like you have no idea what your teeth really need and what the options and cost are so getting this information would be a first step to any change. I'm not from UK but bet there must be a possibility to get an assessment and see from there if you decide to move forward with this part of your life. Having accurate information is the basis of any action.

Hi thank you for your reply I appreciate I think that must be the way forward for me at the moment but I thank you and everyone who has messaged me

Hi Russell, have you checked whether you’re entitled to free NHS dental treatment? There’s some info here:

Have you thought of making an appointment with your local CItizens Advice Bureau to see whatoptions might be available? You can find more info here:

Hello
I am entitled to nhs but it isn't free and I'm not sure if the citizens advice could help me
Thank you for your message I appreciate it

Russel,

I want to get you some help at least starting. From what I found you probably need Band 1 services to assess your needs. Can you confirm if £22.70 is what you immediately need?

NHS dental charges
There are 3 NHS charge bands. From April 2019 to March 2020, the costs are as follows:

Band 1: £22.70
Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/dental-costs/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

Hello thank you for your message I assume that's what I will be at first but I appreciate your mail it means a lot to me as I'm feeling really down right now so thank you

Back