• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feel so so upset

L

Louie1

I've spent all my life being so scared of dentists which stem from a experience when I was a really small child (4) and its affected me all my life I take diazapam if have to have treatment and even though I force my self to go every 6 moths I always need some form of treatment it's so not fair as I try to look after my teeth. The last couple of years though has been more and more treatment I've had extractions before but the one I had last Friday has really scarred me and left me feeling violated 45 mins for 1 extraction and 4 vials of antithetic 6 injections in all then still suffering awful pain as she tried to remove tooth which she then informed me was infected I cried in the chair it was so so bad .Well it will be a week tommorrow and I'm still in so much pain been taking antibiotics I'm on 4 th day of them I'm eating pain killers like sweets which I don't like to that worries me gargling with salt water and its still so sore and hurts and keep getting terrible stabbing pains in my jaw and the pain goes up near now ear and along my jaw line I feel butchered when back to the dentist 2 days ago as was worried and she said keep taking the pain killers and she put a dressing in the socket which took the pain away im also getting pain in the tooth next to the socket which didn't hurt before she extracted tooth and I said about that and she didn't seem concerned I feel at my wits ends and wondering God knows what damage she has done to me and the funny thing is if there is a funny side to this I wasn't getting any pain in this tooth but she said it needed to be extracted as the filling fell out and she said she couldn't replace it the tooth needed to come out anyone else had any experience of a similar thing or know just how long this pain will last thanks

I've spent all my life being so scared of dentists which stem from a experience when I was a really small child (4) and its affected me all my life I take diazapam if have to have treatment and even though I force my self to go every 6 moths I always need some form of treatment it's so not fair as I try to look after my teeth. The last couple of years though has been more and more treatment I've had extractions before but the one I had last Friday has really scarred me and left me feeling violated 45 mins for 1 extraction and 4 vials of antithetic 6 injections in all then still suffering awful pain as she tried to remove tooth which she then informed me was infected I cried in the chair it was so so bad .Well it will be a week tommorrow and I'm still in so much pain been taking antibiotics I'm on 4 th day of them I'm eating pain killers like sweets which I don't like to that worries me gargling with salt water and its still so sore and hurts and keep getting terrible stabbing pains in my jaw and the pain goes up near now ear and along my jaw line I feel butchered when back to the dentist 2 days ago as was worried and she said keep taking the pain killers and she put a dressing in the socket which took the pain away im also getting pain in the tooth next to the socket which didn't hurt before she extracted tooth and I said about that and she didn't seem concerned I feel at my wits ends and wondering God knows what damage she has done to me and the funny thing is if there is a funny side to this I wasn't getting any pain in this tooth but she said it needed to be extracted as the filling fell out and she said she couldn't replace it the tooth needed to come out anyone else had any experience of a similar thing or know just how long this pain will last thanks

sounds as if you have dry socket which is what the dressing was for. If it is hurting again you can go back and have it done again. dry socket takes about 2 weeks to heal. it will heal by itself even if you choose no to go back, but going back can relieve the pain. sorry his happened to you.

The dentist never mentioned dry socket so don't think it's that also when I take painkillers it does take the pain away and don't think it does if it dry socket thanks for your reply x

I’m sorry but I don’t know of any other reason that they would mess with the socket or put a dressing in it.
Did they give you antibiotics in case of infection? Have you used a cold compress on the side of your face and taken an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen? Your extraction was traumatic and can take time to heal. It is normal that teeth on each side of the extraction would hurt and be sensitive for a while afterwards.

Hi yes I'm on day 5 of antibiotics and I've also been using ibroprofen for a week now over 40 of them I've took in a week I just don't know how long this will go on for the pain is running along my jaw now

Louie1,
I felt your pain, I know what its like to be there and have no one help and have no idea what to do. Infection is SERIOUS!! I have no way of knowing what exactly could be going on but I can telly you what happened to me.

I had horrible pain in the upper back left area, excruciating and I none of my little tricks worked. SO I finally broke down and found a dentist.

By the time my appointment came around the pain had subsided some but I knew I could not keep going like and I had to face it.

It was bad, long story for another time, but we decided to put me on a course of doxycycline and pull it after that, if the pain did not come back. Well, it did but on the weekend, fun! I powered through best I could and made it to monday and they fit me into the schedule.

It was better, sort of, the pain I went in with was gone but I had a new different pain with a lot of swelling. The pain went almost up to my temple, back to my ear and encompassed my whole cheek. The pain made my bones and everything on that side of my face hurt.

I was also having extreme headaches during this whole time before, during and after. Now I also had dizzyness and my heart was racing. It got even worse the next day, I called and they said it was ok. I ended up going to the hospital early the next morning, I really thought I might be dying. The ER said it was a really bad infection and I was on the wrong antibiotics. They switched me to clindamycine and gave me percoset for pain, fioricet for a headache and threw and a bonus adavan and some meclazine for the dizzy.

Called the dentist after the ER and said lets get you in and look at that, tomorrow. In I went and he said the infection spread and had to take out the teeth surrounding it (they were already going to go) now.

Almost immediately the pain and swelling went away. I am still dealing with some infection and have neck issues which compound with everything else to give me headaches.

My advice to someone in pain is to bother someone until they will listen to you. Infection is SERIOUS!!! If your dentist wont listen then talk to your Doctor.

Best wishes and hugs!!

Can you get back for check ups or go see another dentist?
You shouldn't be suffering!

Think I'm going to have to next week think she's damaged another tooth next to socket as I'm also getting tooth ache in that and I didn't have any pain before extraction

Back