• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling depressed over dental problems

W

Wowsage

Hello, over the past few days I have been feeling quite down and depressed because of my dental problems. I'm only fourteen and I have one pretty much rotten premolar and about four cavities. In the past I will admit I didn't take good care of my teeth but over the last few years I have been. I have been to the dentist and I know I need fillings and to get the rotten tooth extracted but I can't do it. My worst fear is needles and I feel "weak" when i'm around them or even when i have something as simple as numbing gel on my gum. I did try to have my tooth extracted a few months ago because it was giving me a toothache but I got weak before the dentist even gave me the anaesthetic injection in my gum. Over the last few days I've been thinking more and more about it and it makes me feel gross. Most people have clean white teeth with no cavities or anything. I do want to have the dental work done but I'm so terrified of everything I don't know what to do. Sorry for such a long post but thank you if you read this far!!

You are fourteen years old, so I would strongly suggest talking about it with your parents, they should be able to understand you and help you with those feelings.

Do remember that the past is already passed and you can only change what is happening going forward. What ever you can improve will make your dental health better and your general health will also be better.

Regarding thinking that most people have white teeth and no cavities, it's simply not true, it's not the case. A lot of people seem to have white and healthy teeth. It's often hard to notice the white filings, the crowns, the dentures, the partials, etc.

I do hope you have a very kind dentist and staff that compassionately walk you through any proceses and don't make you feel bad.. I diappeared fromdental work for years because of the shaming.. but you are young and you can start now to turn it around... with the right care and support and you now have plenty of us who understand... wish you the best

p.s. also when i was your age.. I was deathly afraid of the needle I would NOT let them near me with it and one dentist tried to trick me and I bit him...hard.. my mom heard the scream in the waiting room. well i didn't go for years after and my teeth suffered.. so hopefully y ou have a skilled and compassionate dentist... thankfully my new dentist is a pro and doesn't hurt... but I have to have the hygenist possibly give me one tomorrow and I'm freaked out... i hope the dentist is free to give it.. some of them are totally awesome...