• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling depressed

S

Scarycat

Tonight I feel so depressed with everything but mainly my teeth . They are now affecting my life so much as far as I have to choose carefully what to eat, can't smile , my breath smells , loose teeth at back and my family keep saying to go to the dentist , they know I am scared but no idea how terrified I am I wish I could wake up and this nightmare be over

I had all the same issues. It got so bad til I finally realized I coukdnt look the way I indie anymore. A scale of 1-10, my fear was 100. I found the most amazing dentist. I went in January and from now til then I had two root canals, two crowns, two top molars pulled, two wisdom teeth on top pulled, two top cavities, all bottom pulled and a full denture. Expensive, but worth it. My recovery on every issue went perfectly. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Now I can finally smile and not be worried. Like I said, my dentist is beyond amazing. I barely felt any teeth pulled at all and no pain or swelling after all bottom pulled. Hope this encourages you. I know how scary it is

Snap I know that feeling,wish I could say something positive but am in the same boat.

Sorry to hear about your difficult situation. I don't know what is background for it but as far as the dental anxiety is concerned, I truly believe that actively doing something towards seeing a dentist can really improve the feeling. Being passive for too long can increase the bad feeling, doing can improve your feeling.
Examples for what you can do:
- Call practices for an appointment or at least make a list of practices you can call to tomorrow.
- If you have friend you wish to go with to a dental appointment you can schedule with that friend a date for that.
- Writing more here in this forum can also help. Here you can find not only support and advice but also recommendations for dentists in your area.

I would suggest making an appointment, making the X rays and later posting those in here. Surely the dentists will give their opinion about the work needed.

Hope it helps.

hi scary,

i went to the dentist for the first time last december (at age 39), so you can imagine the things wrong with my teeth: decay, abscesses, bone loss and loose teeth, overcrowding, etc etc. one of my bottom front teeth fell out and that was what finally got me to the dentist. since then i've had a deep cleaning, 15 extractions (with abscesses cleaned out and sockets bone grafted at the same time), upper and lower immediate partial dentures and 2 cavities filled, and i'm headed for implants as soon as my grafts heal.

honestly, the worst part of ALL of this was...making that first phone call to make an appointment. i knew this wouldn't be easy but i felt SO relieved that i'd at least got the ball rolling, and i found an amazing periodontist and a talented prosthodontist. i had all 15 extractions done at once and did not have pain during or even after; i had no problems speaking with the partials and adjusted fairly quickly to eating with them. i was of course terrified before my extractions and i'm still pretty scared before any appointment, but my imagination is way worse than anything that actually happens.

i hope this also gives you some encouragement. i knew that if i did nothing that things would only get worse, and i can't describe how relieved i am and how worth it it all is, even with all the fear and not-fun dental visits.