• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling hopeless

S

St1tchz

Hi, I found this forum while searching for a solution.

I'm in my mid thirties and my teeth are rotting out of my head. Thanks to horrible dentistry while in the army I'm terrified of the dentist. So much so that I haven't been to a dentist in over 10 years. I have run out of teeth to chew with and my front teeth are starting to slowly break away. I'm embarrassed to smile or even talk, luckily my wife doesn't seem to care and loves me all the same.

I'm not really sure what I'm getting at, I want implants, but I'm lucky to cover my car payment and mortgage every month, let alone how ever much I'd be paying to have that financed. I'm skeptical about dentures because I don't think I could deal with something on the roof of my mouth. I just don't know what to do. I hate that I live in a country to where my teeth have gotten this bad mostly because of money. I mean sure I'm scared of the pain, and the judgment, but I think my biggest fear right now is how the hell I'm going to pay to fix my mouth.

May I ask a few questions for clarification?

Are you in America?

Are you working?

If so, are you white collar, blue collar, service industry?

I understand your fear of costs and dentistry can really get expensive. On the other point, it would be a pity if this stopped you from making even the first step. No matter what you dental or financial situation currently is, you need to find a dental practice you feel you might trust and googling, reading reviews and getting in touch with a dental place to find out if they can deal with nervous patients won't cost you a dime first.

The second step is to get an exam and an assessment of what is needed. If you fear the costs, it would be good to find out, how bad the cost really will be so that you have a clarity. It would be also good to know if you have different options and also, if there are payment options your dentist can offer.

I understand your worry about not being able to get used to dentures, but even with implants there might be a stage of few months before you get the actual teeth so that you might have to go with dentures for some time anyway. This is again something you can discuss with your dentist.

So my advice is, before not doing anything, do the first step: find a dentist and get an exam and then start to look for ways to deal with the costs.

All the best wishes and keep us posted.