• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling silly!

C

clairethehair

On Wednesday afternoon I have an appointment to have a lower molar extracted. I had this tooth filled just over 2 years ago which was a nightmare - the dentist wasn't very nice to me and I wasn't properly numb. It truly scared me and put me off going back, I even avoided eating on that side of my mouth as I was so scared of something happening to the filling. Unfortunately I somehow developed a big abscess under that very tooth and was forced to go to the dentists after suffering for about a fortnight. I was so scared I was almost shaking but fortunately this time I got a different dentist who was very nice and gentle. She gave me the choice of either having the tooth extracted (no mention of root canal which I was dreading) or waiting and hoping I'd have a good few months of peace before the abscess returned. I was in so much pain I said I'd have it out, took antibiotics for a week which helped loads and made another appointment.

I'm just feeling so scared about this damn extraction, it's been playing on my mind for two weeks now. I know logically it'll be fast (appointment is only half an hour long) and the dentist was really nice last time I saw her. However, I worry that I won't be numb like when the tooth was filled, or it'll hurt......the injections scare me but it's worse thinking that the procedure will be horrific. When I had the fillings done a couple of years ago, that dentist was so rough that it really frightened me......I know it won't be her I see on Wednesday as she's left but I'm still so worried.

Another filling on the top left (tooth to be yanked out is lower right, at the very back) has become dislodged so I'm having that re-done at the same time. I presume having a filling re-done is fairly simple, but I hated the drilling etc. before and again worry I won't be numb. I've done lots of research on line and know that most times extractions are just a case of get injections, feel nothing apart from pressure, and it's all over in minutes.....but I've still got myself in a state.

I'm also worrying about how it'll feel afterwards, if I'll be in pain and not being able to eat! I know having this tooth out is for the best, but part of me wants to cancel the appointment and hope the abscess doesn't return for a year or two. I know it's so silly as people have extractions every day and it's not really a big deal unless you're unlucky. I'm just tired of worrying about it all, am going shopping tomorrow to take my mind of it.......just wish it was over but am dreading the recovery and panicking about dry socket!

Thanks for reading

On Wednesday afternoon I have an appointment to have a lower molar extracted. I had this tooth filled just over 2 years ago which was a nightmare - the dentist wasn't very nice to me and I wasn't properly numb. It truly scared me and put me off going back, I even avoided eating on that side of my mouth as I was so scared of something happening to the filling. Unfortunately I somehow developed a big abscess under that very tooth and was forced to go to the dentists after suffering for about a fortnight. I was so scared I was almost shaking but fortunately this time I got a different dentist who was very nice and gentle. She gave me the choice of either having the tooth extracted (no mention of root canal which I was dreading) or waiting and hoping I'd have a good few months of peace before the abscess returned. I was in so much pain I said I'd have it out, took antibiotics for a week which helped loads and made another appointment.

I'm just feeling so scared about this damn extraction, it's been playing on my mind for two weeks now. I know logically it'll be fast (appointment is only half an hour long) and the dentist was really nice last time I saw her. However, I worry that I won't be numb like when the tooth was filled, or it'll hurt......the injections scare me but it's worse thinking that the procedure will be horrific. When I had the fillings done a couple of years ago, that dentist was so rough that it really frightened me......I know it won't be her I see on Wednesday as she's left but I'm still so worried.

Another filling on the top left (tooth to be yanked out is lower right, at the very back) has become dislodged so I'm having that re-done at the same time. I presume having a filling re-done is fairly simple, but I hated the drilling etc. before and again worry I won't be numb. I've done lots of research on line and know that most times extractions are just a case of get injections, feel nothing apart from pressure, and it's all over in minutes.....but I've still got myself in a state.

I'm also worrying about how it'll feel afterwards, if I'll be in pain and not being able to eat! I know having this tooth out is for the best, but part of me wants to cancel the appointment and hope the abscess doesn't return for a year or two. I know it's so silly as people have extractions every day and it's not really a big deal unless you're unlucky. I'm just tired of worrying about it all, am going shopping tomorrow to take my mind of it.......just wish it was over but am dreading the recovery and panicking about dry socket!

Thanks for reading

No no your not being silly at all, these are the fears I have as well. Ask the dentist for that brown stuff that goes in after a extraction. You never get dry socket with that stuff. Not being able to eat is horrible, but usually that last a few days only. Enjoy shopping. Xxx

There's no need to feel silly. I, for one, know exactly how you feel.

I recently had lower molars extracted. Thankfully my dentist is extremely caring, understanding and patient. She always makes me feel reassured. I had the injections and I was surprised how quickly they took effect. She pushed down on the area to show me how I would feel the pressure but not the pain, and in my case she was right. Next thing I knew it was out. Literally in under 2 minutes.

I was also surprised at how manageable the pain was afterwards. I took a couple of ibuprofen as I felt the numbness wearing off. I managed to eat some soup and rice pudding a few hours later. The next day I couldn't believe how well I felt. Sure the area was a bit sore and my jaw ached, but it was extremely manageable. By day 3 I felt absolutely fine.

I hope your experience is as 'pleasant' as mine have been. I had two lower back teeth removed today, now 7 hours later I am feeling good. Good luck. You'll do great I am sure.

I absolutely want to echo what Yorkie said. Furthermore, I've had some serious abscesses in my time and one thing I will always say, the relief of the tooth and infection being gone far outweighs any discomfort you might experience afterwards. It's normally only a couple of days for one tooth. I had 6 today and I feel pretty damn good. I know it's a different kettle of fish completely, but the relief is still the same. I'm shot of the old crap my mouth was suffering with.

Get all your fears out here, I'm totally convinced it helped me stay sane before I got to the chair.

Thinking of you today :XXLhug: Good luck x

Hope all went well for you today :)
D.J:whirl:

Thanks so much all of you for replying, I truly appreciate it :)

Thank goodness the dreaded appointment is over! I'd been getting worked up about it for two weeks, but especially the last few days. Walking to the dentists yesterday afternoon (in the pouring rain!) was horrible, I did some deep breathing and part of me just wanted to get it over, but I was terrified. They were running about 15 mins late and the wait seemed endless......the dentist and nurse were both lovely though. Unfortunately I'm losing my voice at the moment so sounded even more upset and scared than I actually was! The dentist was as nice as she was when I saw her for the first time two weeks ago (irrationally I worried she'd have transformed into a demon dentist!) I managed to whack my head on the light while climbing into the chair which wasn't a terrific start :)

I was having a lower molar pulled on the bottom right, plus a filling replaced on the top left. The dentist said I'd need injections for the extraction, but gave me the option of trying without for the filling - that was unexpected but I asked for jabs as I didn't want to be in pain! She did all the injections first, the only one that hurt really was for the bottom tooth but it wasn't that bad. I explained I was worried about not getting completely numb as I had a bad experience before, and they were understanding. They waited for the injections to take effect - the top tooth went numb quite fast. The dentist said if I had any pain or anything was wrong then I had to raise my hand and she'd stop immediately. That was so reassuring, the dentist I saw last time didn't say that at all (and that was my first experience of dental work). I realised I was numb, so relaxed a bit - the drill didn't bother me really which I was worrying about a bit. She was trying to get the old filling out but it wouldn't shift.....I could feel scraping and tugging and realised it was still in. The dentist commented that it was moving but being naughty and not coming out - they were nice but I felt myself panicking. In the end she screwed something into it I think and managed to get it out.....then there was some cleaning and finally the new filling. At the end, the dentist said that she couldn't reveal the entire hole and the cavity is big (she told me this after the extraction and I wasn't quite following!) basically I now have a gap next to that tooth and the next which food might get stuck in.......she said eventually I might need a crown which is worrying me a bit, but I hope it's OK for now.

I knew my mouth was numb on the other side, and hoped it was numb enough for the extraction. Again the dentist said if I felt pain she'd give me more Novocaine....and then the pliers came out! All I felt was a bit of pulling and the tooth being moved backwards and forwards - I felt like it was going to hurt and then the tooth was out. I knew most extractions are quick and simple like that, but imagined mine wouldn't be, especially as the filling didn't want to come out! I was so relieved it was all over, whacked my head again on the damn light but at least I could escape after that :)

It's now very nearly 24 hours later and so far so good. The pain is much less than I expected - I took some painkillers when the injections wore off, but the pain was minimal. The bleeding took 2/3 hours to stop which was scary (and frightened my kids, especially my 8 year old who got upset as I couldn't speak properly and had blood on my lips!) but everything seems OK. I just ate yoghurts and ice cream last night, despite being starving.......had a smoothie and weetabix for breakfast today. I'm terrified about dislodging the clot and getting dry socket - I know it's easily treated but I don't want to be in agony. The clot looks okay, there's a white-ish layer on top of it which I'm hoping is normal. Haven't really brushed my teeth yet as I'm too scared:( Generally I feel better than I thought I would though.

Anyway that's my experience......thanks to everyone who has read my posts and supported me. If I can get through an extraction then anyone can! Claire

Well done!! The worrying beforehand is what does us all in, I'm convinced of that! As for your calamities, well, you're not alone and we're both dead honest about it lol

You touched on something in your post that I had covered with my dentist in one of the first appointments when I'd made my decision to go ahead. I told him flat out, if anything was proving difficult, DO NOT TELL ME... just carry on. Sometimes knowledge is power, but not when you are already in danger of filling your pants. I do not need to know that stuff, just get on with it!

I'm so glad you're feeling well now and it sounds like your socket is doing what it should be doing... says she, too scared to look at her own :ROFLMAO:

A massive well done to you :yayy::bounces::bounces::yayy: You survived and the extraction site sounds just like it should be, sounds like you have a great dental team, if we can just learn to stop our brains going into overdrive before hand ( unless hypnotherapy could stop that) " you will accept all dental appointments and arrive for them without worry" it'd be great wouldn't it:giggle: The frozen jacket potatoes Mc Cain are mushy and add some squirty cheese, do you like semolina pudding that's filling and easy to eat, custard and puréed stewed apple and when you are ready for a bit more texture a cheap own brand cheese and onion quiche warmed up is mushy and fills you up too, you are doing great :jump:
D.J :whirl:

Hi Clairethehair, well done again and lol at your story ( the light bit ) I am so glad you're okay. Look at all of us who have been to dentist this week? We are so brave...;D It's true you know, the fear is a lot to do with beforehand, we imagine all the what if's etc and now look at us. Saying that I got 2 more to go on Tuesday EEek...

my my mouth is still tender and like you Clairthehair am petrified of the blood clot. I managed some squashed up fish fingers lol and a few bits and bobs to eat. Soup was rubbish as I couldn't suck it off spoon if you get me, like a straw motion- it was weird, maybe just position of where tooth was.

glad everyone is feeling okay though.

we did it :jump::scared::jump::XXLhug:

Congratulations Clair!:jump: Sounds like you've found yourself a great dental team there :). Its so good to read so many success stories recently!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks so much everyone :)

Hope everything is still going ok for you xx