• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling so ashamed.

C

Cinkat84

My doctor finally agreed to do nitrous oxide for the rest of my appointments after my root canal procedure scared me. I feel ashamed that I need this to cope. I know I shouldn’t care but I feel I will be judged by the dents team especially since the worst is over with :(

Dear cinka84,

my approach for treating dental fear is no drugs such as sedative because they alter the state of consciousness and do not allow positive coping with the dental experience.
However, laughing gas is a very good tool for coping with dental anxiety because it lessens the anxiety without changing the patient’s consciousness.
Here is a short video I made about fear offeeling embarrassed during a dental visit. Hope it helps.

I was fine until he injected my jaw with the needles twice. I was horrific

No numbing gel no warning. I had 3 in the same spot, the one that hits the jaw and it felt like a needle went into my bones. I yelped. Dr thought I was frozen but I said no so he injected quickly again. My jaw is tight so I can’t open my mouth couldn’t open so he held it open so wide. Now my jaw is locked

No numbing gel no warning.
Sounds to me this is not the right dentist for you. I think it is basic courtesy to tell a patient before starting working in the mouth. Secondly: in order to achieve a painless injection the dentist has to numb very slowly (the numbing gel is not a must for that).
Here is a video I made exactly about this subject:
Hope it helps.

I was so surprised. I went to him because of all the amazing reviews. Which is why I am so surprised.

Could you ask friends, family, or colleagues for their recommendations? We've also got a page her on how to find a phobic-friendly dentist:

And a page on how to identify a high-quality dentist here:

Sounds to me this is not the right dentist for you. I think it is basic courtesy to tell a patient before starting working in the mouth. Secondly: in order to achieve a painless injection the dentist has to numb very slowly (the numbing gel is not a must for that).
Here is a video I made exactly about this subject:
Hope it helps.
This a great video. All things I’m going to address at my consult tomorrow. Thank you

It went well thanks for asking. He said my teeth are not too bad at all and definitely not as bad as I thought which is reassuring. He did say that I need the two crowns but he could do each for me on the same day. He was gentle and slow. So I’m hoping that on next Monday’s appointment for the crown isn’t scary. I’m still nervous but not as nervous thankfully. I feel like I can be more honest with this dentist. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for asking