• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling so unhappy

J

Jackieallen

I have a 3 teeth to be removed soon that I am aware of I think perhaps another 2 or 3. So could be 6. I have a appoinment with my dentist to review. Then refer me for iv sedation at my cost.

I had iv sedation for the for the first time in feb and i must say i didnt feel anything nor recall anything it was fantastic.

Why then am i still still constantly unhappy? I am shaking inside / crying / anxious / feel sick/ smoking too much / my legs constantly/ drinking too much/ scared of waking up to pain and having an emergency appointment.

Absolutely dreading the appointment to be told the reality of how many teeth require extraction.

I won't butter this up with excuses. Clearly i havent looked after my teeth properly and now here i am a nervous wreck.

Any help or advice to stop this constant dreadful feeling

Hi Jackieallen,

I’m sorry to read about how you feel, particularly how hard you are on yourself. It sounds as if you were blaming yourself for haven’t looking after your teeth properly, but I doubt things are that easy and straight forward.

The amount of uncertainty you are dealing with right now must be overwhelming - regardless of sedation or not, you are not sure how many teeth need to go, you feel guilt about needing this treatment and you have a lot of fear. It makes sense that you don‘t feel happy. May I ask you when your appointment is? And are you able to pinpoint what makes you so scared? Maybe a particular thing that happened in the past as you needed treatment?

All the best wishes

My appointment is on the 21st march .

I have had lots of treatments including bridge of 3 teeth . 2 marylands 2 crowns . Sadly a tooth snapped 3 yesrs ago and i had to have a denture

I thnk my fear began 4 years ago my dentist when under pain my dentitist tried to extract and failed then had to refer me to the hospital.

I wonder should i be on anti depressiants ?

If you have had such an experience with an extraction, it only makes sense that you're anxious now. One good experience with sedation is not enough to stop being scared. In fact, sedation rarely helps with fear as such.
What brings you to the idea of antidepressants?

Hi

I'm sorry to read that you're feeling this way.

In my experience, anti-depressants will only be useful if the reason you're feeling the way you do is due to a chemical imbalance. I was prescribed anti-depressants (sertraline) and it hasn't made any difference at all to my fear of dentists or anxiety over my teeth. My overall emotional wellbeing is better and I do now manage to sleep.

Personally iv found that finding a dentist I feel safe with has made a difference but I am still overcome with anxiety and fear when my appointments are due.

One good dental experience doesn't wipe out the anxiety instantly, that's something that will improve in time as your trust builds with your new dentist.

How are you feeling about things now?

Depressants because i am so low cant think of anything other than the procedure iv or not. I am trying every day to continue as normal but feel like i am a ticking time bomb.

I have used the same dentist since i was a child of course the dentist has changed and oral hygiene too in the last 40 years . I dont recall knowing what a tee pee was at the age of 20 nor a hygienist . I am 51 and was fed sweets as a child and had 8 fillings by the age of 12 . I had two secondary teeth that didnt appear and at the age of 16 was given a maryland bridge to cover the gap . 15 years later i had this replaced with a permanent bridge for 3 teeth . I also had 2 crowns done and once i got to 35 lost 2 of my upper teeth adjacent to my 2 front teeth that were replaced by marylands . So all in all i have like 14 teeth of my own. 3 of my teeth need removing for sure crown came off and could be replaced one tooth snapped and left but replaced by a partial denture and another that is rotten. Not a pretty picture heh

I have been seeing the hygienist every 3 months untill she tried to inject me to deep clean i just simply couldnt do it .

I am constantly full of dread of whats to come . I know i cant change that and honestly try very hard to be positive but all the time find myself revisiting the what ifs . I of course will know better after my appointment on the 21st so maybe that will help .

Thanks for all your responses it grrat to discuss with others i cant keep moanjng to my family all the time and bringing them down too.

I'm sorry to hear about your dental problems.

I've had a deep clean and I was fine. Have you ever gotten a second opinion? Your current dentist doesn't need to know about this. Just ask the dentist to email you the notes and x-rays. Ask a trusted friend about their dentist. Don't use Yelp. Most professionals will have 4 to 5 star reviews on Yelp. I've only met a few good and trustworthy dentists and I've known about 15.

It's hard to be in a place where you feel you have no control over. If you haven't taken good care of your teeth, ask yourself what needs to change? I don't blame you, no one is perfect. However, be honest with yourself about what you could have done differently.

Motivation to change habits ... we're often more motivated by fear for worst case scenarios than anything else.

Jackie, there is so much going on. If I got you right, the topic of teeth and treatment is something that goes beyond a "simple" anxiety linked to the next treatment. You have been through a lot and as you rightly mention, dentistry worked differently years ago. There was no preventive care and parents did not get educated about how to make sure their kids would have healthy teeth. Reading your post though - and I may be wrong so please correct me if I'm mistaking - I see a sense of shame. And that's a pitty because you are doing what you can and trying your best. I can't imagine how it must have felt for you to get a bridge at such an early age.

Now you mentioned antidepressants. Not sure you have had experience with it in the past, but if you feel you would benefit from a medication, the best idea may be to look for a psychiatrist that could figure out what's going on and what may work the best. For many reasons (and most mental health professionals will tell you the same thing) GPs are not too great at prescribing this kind of meds although they can. One very important thing to mention is that medication is meant to be used along with therapy / counseling and that's when it's the most effective. There is no need to struggle with this on your own and no need to force yourself to feel positive. A skilled mental health professional can help you navigate through these feelings and thoughts and help you to cope with them in a more effective way. And that's when meds help - they can create a bit of relief that allows to focus on the therapy work.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for your apt on 21st and please feel free to write and vent here as much as you need. This is a safe place for any thoughts and fears and we are here to listen. :grouphug:

@Enarete

Thanks for all the support . I dont blame myself it is what it is too late for blame .

Just need to be positive about the next stages and not so anxious as its controlling me

@Sun i am unsure a second opinion can save my teeth . But thanks for the advise

@MumOfBoys1985 Thanks for the advice. Once all procedures are complete I hope to be back to my happy self

@Jackieallen if you find after all your treatment is finished, that in yourself, you don't feel better then definitely speak to your GP as there are lots of things they can do to support you. I really hope your treatments go well. Often it's not as bad as we fear it will be, but at the Time there is little reassurance in that. You're not alone, remember that

So tomorrow is my dental appointment and super anxious to find out the reality of how many teeth need to go .

Anxious of the procedure and how long it will take to get dentures made.

Anxious anxious so i am making slow cooked pork belly roast to keep me busy .

@Jackieallen good luck for today. Try to stay as calm as you can but make sure you let them know how anxious you're feeling and agree they will stop when you need them to. Keep us updated on how you get oh. Its never as bad as you think it will be x

@MumOfBoys1985

Thanks so much . Today is just to check on all my teeth and determine how many require extraction. I know 3 for sure as one snapped a few years ago another was a crown that broke and last one they recommened for removal a few years ago but never bothered me. My concern is are there more. Will know later

Let us know how things go for you. Will be thinking if you!

@Ladydi1724

Ah thanks . Place your bets now on the number of teeth to go . Appointmemt at 4 so not long till results are in

Update the dentist did a full check up . Found no bleeding in any gums. Generally said good job keep it up. Book the hygienist too. Then I asked what about my 3 teeth that need removing she said if your not having any pain then no need. She is not happy to refer for removal unless an issue. The other teeth were all fine. Currently I am in shock

@Jackieallen amazing news!!!!! Honestly I am so pleased for you. See, I told you its never as bad as you think it's going to be ❤

So today 4 month later and i feel a swinge in my tooth . Nervous wreck again ...cant eat cant focus ...just petrified ....here goes again