• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling very down after cleaning.

S

scaredscaredscared

Hi, today I had an appointment for a cleaning. I didn't sleep well last night and was worried all morning. While it wasn't pleasant, it didn't actually hurt. The dentist was very good and stopped whenever I felt I needed too and even raised me up a bit to make it easier for me. I have to go back in a month (she's on holiday for 3 weeks now) for her to finish it off. When I looked in the mirror I was so horrified. Ok, I know that there was a lot of stuff to remove and I already knew that my 2 bottom centre teeth had moved. But to see the real extent was devasting. I have a massive gap between those 2 teeth, it almost looks like I've lost a tooth. My gums have receded a lot too.
The teeth aren't loose, but they look like planks stuck up on their own. She says that they won't fall out. But I feel so awful. I look awful. Why did I let myself get into this state. What will they do when the cleaning is all finished? Do you think there is anything they can do to improve my appearance? I am quite good at concealing my bottom teeth.

I'm so disappointed in myself.

Don't be dissapointed, be proud - you went and did it! :respect:

Now that much of the yuckky scale has gone from your teeth the gums will be able to re-attach themselves to your teeth making them much firmer. That scale is like a wedge driving down between your teeth and gums, there is no gap there but there is no bond either. Gaps do apear after de-scaling, I had three gaps apear after my first de-scale in 26 years, I now have a little brush just to clean inside them. You need to keep the gaps clean so that food does not decay between your teeth causing problems. Don't worry about how they look, its natural.

We get used to our teeth apearing as they do, scale builds up over time and the change is so gradual that we don't notice the changes. Brush the gums gently and they will soon be back on the teeth where they should be. You have done a great thing for your health. :XXLhug:

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I am pleased with myself that I went and I know it's good for my health. I was just shocked at how much gum has gone. You can see a lot of what I assume is root at the back. She didn't seem overly concerned though. I am just wondering what they will do though.

You do get used to seeing all the yuck. I am not sure I will get used to seeing what is left. I shouldn't be surprised, it was 20 years worth.

I've managed to eat and drinking is fine, so hopefully that is good. My gums aren't bleeding but they are very red. I haven't been given any antibiotics or anything.

I've taken a lot of inspiration from your journal robotguy and I can't thank you enough for your recommendation about Bobbi, I feel that the sessions really have helped me. I have been able to calm myself waiting for my appointment and also at times in the chair. you've done really well and must be so proud that you are almost at the end of your journey. I hope I'll get there soon too.

Yay for doing it!!

At one time after I had not been to the dentist for about oh, 7 years or so, it took two sessions to get all the gunk off my teeth...with some sort of sonic cleaner thingy. I was incredibly fortunate to not have cavities. My teeth were kinda sore after the marathon cleaning sessions, but in a few weeks my mouth looked a LOT better than it had before.

Back