• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feels amazing!

J

JillyBean

I thought I would share my experience with you all....

I’ve always had a fear of dentists. My patents always made me go as a child and would bribe me with a toy. I would get to the appointment and then always hide in the washroom. Usually we would end up leaving because I was too afraid, once in awhile I would go through with an appointment.
Then, as an adult, without my parents making me go, I just didn’t. College happened, I grew up, got married, had a family, and my teeth were something I didn’t want to think about.

Then just about 2 months ago, I was eating a sandwich and felt something hard in my mouth. It looked like a piece of a tooth... so it took all my courage, but I finally called them and made an appointment to go have it looked at, terrified at what they would fine and that surely half my teeth would have to be removed.

so the day of the appointment came, and I almost cancelled it 100 times. I almost didn’t go. But somehow I made it there. Sat in the waiting room trying to look like a normal adult that wasn’t panicking inside. As soon as my name was called, the dental assistant lead me into the hallway where it all hit me... the dental smell, the sound of the drills going, seeing people in the chairs... I wanted to run... find a bathroom to hide in (haha) or turn around and never come back.

but I kept going.

They took X-rays. They looked at my mouth. The dentist checked every tooth and the assistant took notes. I thought for sure... this is going to be bad. But the dentist and her assistant were so calming, and kept telling me everything they were doing.

The findings weren’t as bad as I thought; 2 deep cavities that might need root canals, 3 small cavities , and 3 other possible ones.

So I left there that day feeling better, I wasn’t going to lose any teeth... but the filings were definitely scary. I spent 3 more appointments there having them filled, each appointment was easier. It turns out no root canals were needed, I had 7 cavities overall and had them all filled. I also needed 3 cleanings to remove all the tartar, I’ve had 2 cleanings and I need one more.

So I had about 8 visits within 2 months. It was a lot of work, but I’m SO GLAD to have it over with. I’m now quite comfortable and feel soooooo much better that I had everything done! So please, please, please don’t put it off. I put it off for almost 20 years and I only wish I had gone sooner!

Edited to add: what chipped off when I ate was a piece of tartar! Nothing broke.

Jillybean..

I just saw this testimony of yours and just love it!! This is great that you faced your fears and went and did all this!! :welldone: :perfect: :you-rock:.. Its really encouraging and inspiring !

"so the day of the appointment came, and I almost cancelled it 100 times. I almost didn’t go. But somehow I made it there. Sat in the waiting room trying to look like a normal adult that wasn’t panicking inside. As soon as my name was called, the dental assistant lead me into the hallway where it all hit me... the dental smell, the sound of the drills going, seeing people in the chairs... I wanted to run... find a bathroom to hide in (haha) or turn around and never come back. "

This is just sooo real.. so glad you made it through..

Glad it went well. Your next appointment should be the best one yet. First you are taking great care of your teeth for sure now, flossing daily etc.

Six months or when scheduled you are going to go and know it will not be anything nearly as stressful as the last half dozen appointments.

Instead most likely it will be a quick and easy cleaning, where they give you good news for a change... that you don’t have to see again for likely half a year! When. That happens you you will grow about an inch taller walking out feeling great.

I don't know you, but I'm sooooooo terribly proud of you! Congrats on going through with it all and getting such great news (so little needed to be done after all those years). And thanks for your post - it will certainly help those who come after, knowing that things might not be as bad as they fear.

Back