• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feels like Torture before RCT

J

Jean126

What isthe deal to inflict severe pain prior to getting a root canal treatment?
This isthe second time in 3 years that I have had to have a RCT because a largefilling and/or crack on back molars caused sensitivity to hot,pressure and lots of pain.
Prior to these recent events I had a 2 RCTs but they are over 14years ago, and don't recall any significant issues.
I went to dentist because I noticed a tiny piece of filling was missing frommolar 18, so got in to see dentist right away and was told it would need acrown and there was some decay that got under filling due to crack. Atthat time no pain or sensitivity, so crown prep was scheduled. A monthlater I had crown prep. there was a lot of pain and soreness after, but itsomewhat settled after a few days. But the throbbing didn't. I figuredtooth got traumatized from procedure and would give it time. I cannottake NSAIDS so took other pain meds and it mostly settled itdown. But after a few weeks the pain was occurring in middle of night,sensitive to hot and cold also and I had feeling I probably need a RCT pluspain was getting worse.

Calleddentist only to learn all were on holiday ,so Ihad to just had hold on out till I could see them.
Saw dentist last Monday and he took x-ray and looked at tooth and I ask toplease not tap or put the cold test on it as I was in a lot of pain. Hesaid x-ray indicates I need RCT and gave me pain meds and antibiotics' andreferred to endodontists. Four more days of pain till that appointment.
I have become very very anxious at dentist and ask them not to make it hurtbefore numbing the tooth.
They see indications on x-ray, fail the tap and bit test. They tell methey will not do the cold test.
I get 3 numbing shots and sitting there waiting for nerve to settle and canfinally take a deep breath as the throbbing is calming down. Then theycome and say we just want to make sure shots are working, and put the cold onthe tooth, I about jolt out of the chair and am shaking in pain. " OH Iguess we should use more heavy duty "(what every is used to numbnerve) and tell me these shots will hurt, oh they did hurt but tooth wasfinally quiet and the RCT treatment was finally started. It probablytook me 15 minutes to stop shaking from that jolt pain. Procedure wascompleted and told lots of blood and I had c-shaped canal. I followup with regular dentist in a few weeks.
I think I am doing ok so far, throbbing pain is gone and but there issoreness. I have only chewed soft stuff on that side and it seemsok. My last RCT took 3 months to settle down. This one seems to bedoing better but only time will tell.
It is getting more difficult for me to have dental work because of these testthat really inflict so much pain, I just don't get it.

I get adentist wants to make sure what tooth it is and there be no doubt, but this one wasobvious. I feel like they have this check box and want to make sure atooth fails their cold test. I feel so traumatizedfrom these experiences over the last few years. I worry as I have a lot of large fillings and I will probably have to go to this party again someday and it make me so anxious.

I am so sorry for your torture today and understand how you feel. I have cracks in #18 and endo tried to do the tap and cold test and I said no and left. A few weeks later it hurt like crazy went back to dentist and he said needs RCT which I am to do on Friday and dreading it. I think once they know it is the tooth the rest is unnecessary too, especially when you are a fearful patient.

I hope this is the last for you for a while. You are not alone. Other people feel the same way! I hope you have a smooth recovery and feel good as new soon. Let us know how you are healing.

Update... It's been over three weeks since RCT and tooth has settled down. I just had permanent filling and crown placed today. There was no pain while getting it done but some soreness from all the picking to remove extra cement around gums. So far its ok.

Back