• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Felt something lodge between my premolar and molar after eating popcorn. Terrified to go to the dentist in case fractured😭

D

DMARXX

Another problem sadly. I ate popcorn yesterday night and I was eating and all the sudden I felt like something was stuck in between my premolar and molar on the upper right. It was a feeing if a lot of pressure and even biting down the pressure didn’t go away. It didn’t hurt or anything just immense pressure like something is lodged. I tried every corner of the tooth with a tooth kick to get it out but nothing. Then alas I tried flossing in between the teeth premolar and molar and I felt better. The pressure was gone. But nothing came out. At least I think nothing came out. Thing is the next day now it feels kind of irritated. It doesn’t hurt but like the gum and tooth feel irritated. it’s “sore” if that makes sense. When I push on it with my tongue it just feels sore. It doesn’t hurt when I eat on it. When I bite on it I feel sore. Again. I know I’m using that word a lot but that’s just it. Like I ate something hard on it. That feeling. Its also not sensitive to hot or cold. I just feel like that tooth moved when I ate the popcorn and now I am worried. Like it shifted when I bit down on the popcorn and now I’m worried it’s fractured. If it was a fracture wouldn’t it be throbbing right now? if it was a fracture wouldn’t I feel it right away? Not just the pressure? I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to go to the dentist again I’ve been to 6 appointments in the last 2 months. Has anyone had this feeling?

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi...I’m not a dentist but it could just be some trauma to the gums and teeth ligaments causing inflammation and tenderness. Sounds like maybe a krenal got stuck and maybe you did free it without realizing it. Temperature sensitivity is a tell tale sign of nerve issues so it’s good that you are not experiencing that and if the pain has improved, my guess would be that you probably did not do any long-term damage. Typically cracked teeth are pretty painful and if you did that, you’ll know it! The pressure could just be some swelling around the gums. You could try some warm salt water rinses for a couple days and wait and see. This has helped me in similar situations. Of course if you are still concerned, a quick look from a dentist and maybe an X-ray doesn’t hurt anything!

D

DMARXX

Hi...I’m not a dentist but it could just be some trauma to the gums and teeth ligaments causing inflammation and tenderness. Sounds like maybe a krenal got stuck and maybe you did free it without realizing it. Temperature sensitivity is a tell tale sign of nerve issues so it’s good that you are not experiencing that and if the pain has improved, my guess would be that you probably did not do any long-term damage. Typically cracked teeth are pretty painful and if you did that, you’ll know it! The pressure could just be some swelling around the gums. You could try some warm salt water rinses for a couple days and wait and see. This has helped me in similar situations. Of course if you are still concerned, a quick look from a dentist and maybe an X-ray doesn’t hurt anything!
Thank you so much for your reply. My health anxiety has been off the charts since this happened and it still feels sore but it’s been almost two days now since the incident. I have a “dull ache” there but I’m assuming that’s normal from trauma. I keep checking everyday if I have a sensitivity to cold or hot things and it’s good so far. Just the ache but it doesn’t hurt when I eat. I guess I’m hyper aware of it but hopefully it subsides. I know if it’s cracked you feel a sharp pain bet biting on release but I don’t feel anything. Just some soreness.