• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filled molar sensitive to heat and cold :/

R

rosielx

Two months ago I had a large deep grey ten year old filling which was leaking replaced with a new composite one. There was no new decay on the tooth and no pain or sensitivity after the filling. Two days ago the molar became sensitive to heat and cold but not sweet things. The pain lasts 4-5 seconds after stimulus is removed. No toothache. A few weeks ago I changed to an electric tooth brush and noticed much improved tartar removal. I'm now using sensodyne rapid relief and tooth is less sensitive. I'm going to contact my dentist tomorrow but may have to wait a few days for appointment. Has anyone with these symptoms kept their tooth or is a root canal necessary? I can go to dentist but suffer anxiety and am very afraid of sedation :/.

Hi,

I see two possible diagnoses according to your description. The first: it might be a root canal treatment. the second: maybe you have brushed too hard and damaged a bit the gum, thus the tip of the root is exposed and the tooth is sensitive.
I suggest you first stop brushing hard, brush very gently with the sensodine toothpaste. If after two weeks there is no improvement, it might be a root canal treatment.

Thank you for the fast reply. The pain seems to start at the top of the tooth rather than the gum but it's useful to hear that it might be a root canal. I'm trying to prepare myself as after having a tumour removed from my tongue I have real problems with anything involving teeth and mouths :).

I'm trying to prepare myself as after having a tumour removed from my tongue.

Did you receive also radiation or chemotherapy?

No. It was an unusual type of benign tumour. Think it was mason spelling?

Turned out my heads on new electric brush were too hard and have made gums sore. All teeth ok (phew)

Back