• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling and scale & polish Friday scared of gagging and keeping mouth open :(

F

fairy_N

Filling and scale & polish Friday scared of gagging and keeping mouth open :(

Hi all,

Just joined the website and this is my first post!!

Well I have been scared of the dentist for a few years now have NO idea why or what started it. I also feel I have mild vomit phobia so may be linked to that?

Anyway I'm scared of gagging at the dentist. It happened on a visit 18 months ago when the woman was taking ages doing a check-up, poking each tooth and calling out things for the nurse to type, she said I needed a scale and polish carried on poking then I gagged... She then stopped told me to go back in 2 weeks for the cleaning but I cancelled and went into denial, booked another appointment about a year ago which I also cancelled, then booked another for a couple of weeks ago which I ACTUALLY ATTENDED!! ;D

The dentist was different she was quiet, small and gentle and only did a very quick check, said I needed a scale and polish (overdue from last time! :redface:) and a filling in one of my top back teeth!

I was so relieved i had actually GONE to the appointment and pushed the idea of the filling out my head but now the appointment is this Friday at 09:45 for both the clean and the filling and I'm petrified.

I have had one filling before which was 5 years ago and it wasn't too bad but i do remember struggling to keep my mouth open and the dentist getting frustrated but didn't gag.

I hate hate hate having my mouth open, i like to be able to swallow, breathe and pause for breath when i want and I'm scared that with the filling i have no choice but to keep my mouth open and if i really had to close and swallow then it'd be disasterous... I'm also scared of gagging really bad, I mean when it happened last time she just stopped and i left, but if I'm halfway through a filling they'll have to carry on and complete it, if i haven't been able to calm down I'll just carry on gagging :confused:

I wish I could go in when I've had 2 glasses of wine lol, I'd be fine then!!!

I don't care about needles or pain, I've given birth, pain does not bother me. It's the gagging/being sick/keeping mouth open that scares me and feeling not in control.

Anyone have any words of wisdom, experience or anything to help me through Friday?

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Filling and scale & polish Friday scared of gagging and keeping mouth open :(

Hi Fairy N -

Maybe try talking to the dentist and let her know of your gagging fear. See if she can give you a hand signal or something, so if you feel the need to take a second to close your mouth and swallow, she'll let you.

It won't hurt to be honest, and it won't hurt to ask. Hopefully she'll be understanding towards you, and be willing to work around your fear.

Best wishes for your next appointment!

Re: Filling and scale & polish Friday scared of gagging and keeping mouth open :(

I sometimes feel like this - depending on what I'm having done - but I usually find there are plenty of opportunities to close and swallow while the dentist is changing tools etc.

No reason why you can't try that trick with a couple of glasses of wine either - unless you're driving yourself there, of course.

I can't help with the gagging but I had a real problem opening my mouth and keeping it open. What I did to help myself was to practice it.

Sounds silly I know but it helped. Every morning when I woke up I would lie on my back in bed and just open my mouth wide and keep it there. Doing it in the dark meant no one could see me do it. I was in a similar position to having to do it for the dentist and it really made a difference. At the start I could barely do it, but after a few days I was able to open my mouth and not really think about it, keeping it open for a long while. This did help when I had to do it for real as I knew I could do that part OK and didn't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Well this time tomorrow it will be well over!! I am definitely going to the appointment no matter what just so worried about it :shame: If I get through it all ok, I'll be so so pleased I don't know what I'll do!!

I have bought some stop snoring throat spray which I heard was god for gagging, it was £12 :o:o:o so hope it works a bit tomorrow!

If anyone else has any tips please add them, I'm still so worried about gagging :cry:

I think the best thing you can do is try not to focus on it. The more you think about it the more likely you are to. Try concentrating on your breathing, or relaxing different muscle groups in your body instead.

I have the exact same issues as you. I have a fear of choking and gagging. I recently had a filling in a top molar, all the way in the back next to my wisdom tooth. Usually my dentist doesn't make me lay all the way back in the chair, because that reduces the gagging for me as nothing can run down my throat that way. However, this time because of the location of the tooth I had to be all the way back.
I'll tell you what helped me get through it. LOTS OF SUCTION. I held one, and the assistant held another one. This way everything stayed very dry in my mouth, because I can't handle it when even water runs down my throat. Even that makes me gag at the dentist. Also if you feel a gag moment coming on, concentrate on breathing through your nose, instead of your mouth. That also helps a lot.
I also had a deep cleaning two weeks ago. I will admit that I did gag on that, when some of the numbing gel or water or something got in my throat. I quickly sat up, even if it annoyed the hygenist. Remember that you are the patient, and you have the right for a break any time you want or need one. good luck tomorrow! I'm sure you will do great. Let me know how it goes.

Thankyou to the last few posters :)

The tooth I'm having filled is also all the way back at the top next to my wisdom tooth.

I'm totally dreading this, I didn't sleep well last night due to worrying about it, kept waking up after weird dentist dreams.
In 2 hours I'll be in there :scared: and in 3 hours the appointment will be over no matter what happens...

Just can't wait to get it done, and really really hope I last the whole appointment and get it all complete, I'll be gutted if they decide to stop and tell me to come back at a later date as I'll just have this all over again!! :mad:

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Good luck x

I DID IT!!!!

I can't believe it, I did it and got through it all ok and did not gag ONCE!!!!

I love that dentist, she is really gentle, and right at the beginning of the appointment she said if I want her to stop at any point to raise my left hand (I didn't even say i was nervous unless she remembered from last time or sensed I was bricking it!) I didn't have to raise my hand one time.

First the tooth was checked, then I was given the numbing shot, they did the scale and polish which went fine and then they filled the tooth... When it was over I could have punched the air I was that chuffed :redface:

I am SO proud of myself for just doing it and showing myself I can really do it. Now I haven't got to worry about it, and it's a massive weight from my shoulders just gone.... Go back for a check up in 6 months :)

My teeth are all lovely and smooth and clean now as well, all plaque from between my bottom front teeth has gone ;D

Thanks everyone for supporting me :cheers:

Well done:jump::jump:.

Its always good to hear back from people after their appointment, I'm so glad it went well for you.

fairy -

i have a similar fear of gagging and also have the vomit phobia. Im working up the courage to make an appointment to see my orthodontist to get invisalign (i had braces a few years ago but my wisdom teeth came in and shifted them, of course i was too chicken to get my wisdom teeth out... but i know thats inevitable now.) reading your story really gave me hope ! i gag so easily, i stress about it for WEEKS after i make an appointment. but i have to ask you, did the stop snoring spray help you?

jill

Back