• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling and teeth out

T

Tinydancer

Please can someone put me at ease. I recently had an abscess, I went to my dentist. I haven't been to a dentist in 13 years she done my check up and I got registered. ( she also prescribed me antibiotics) She said I need a filling and two teeth taken out. I am honestly petrified of the dentist due to a bad experience when younger. She asked if I would like sedated but I said I'd like to try with an injection. She said because I was so nervous how about doing my filling first with an injection and a scale and polish, that way if I really am nervous when it comes to having my two broken teeth extracted I can be sedated if I wish. I am so so scared. I get my filling in two weeks. I'm actually surprised that having not been to a dentist in 17 years that all I need it's two extractions, a filling and a a scale and polish. This isn't helping me from being terrified. Please someone tell me it's going to be okay ? ??

Hiya, I've moved this into the Support area, you'll get better answers in there I think.

PS It's going to be okay :)

Hiya, I've moved this into the Support area, you'll get better answers in there I think.

PS It's going to be okay :)

Thank you I really hope so I'm so so scared :(

I was in the same boat recently! It had been something like 10 years since I'd properly been examined by a dentist, and I've just started taking care of everything. I have 4 cavities & one root canal (which I did this week!).

And it's going to be ok. If your dentist is kind and helping you - and it sounds like they are (like mine) - then it'll be fine. She was honest about the process, told me when she was going to do the injection, and used numbing gel before hand.

Once that was done and I was numb, it was quick and easy for her to work on the filling. Painless, of course, because I was numb, but she also let me take breaks while she changed tools, etc. so that helped me feel like I wasn't just sitting there for ages with my mouth open.

Had it been just a filling, she would have been in and out and done in 25 minutes-ish and it was pretty big. As it was, it needed a root canal so I had to come back to see the endo. She put in a temporary filling though and so the whole process at least gave me an idea of what to expect for the rest of the appointments and although I'm not excited, I feel more confident.

I think starting with a filling is a great idea - you're going to do great - especially because you know if you're still anxious, you can have sedation going forward. That would ease my mind a lot - I hope you get some peace from that!

I was in the same boat recently! It had been something like 10 years since I'd properly been examined by a dentist, and I've just started taking care of everything. I have 4 cavities & one root canal (which I did this week!).

And it's going to be ok. If your dentist is kind and helping you - and it sounds like they are (like mine) - then it'll be fine. She was honest about the process, told me when she was going to do the injection, and used numbing gel before hand.

Once that was done and I was numb, it was quick and easy for her to work on the filling. Painless, of course, because I was numb, but she also let me take breaks while she changed tools, etc. so that helped me feel like I wasn't just sitting there for ages with my mouth open.

Had it been just a filling, she would have been in and out and done in 25 minutes-ish and it was pretty big. As it was, it needed a root canal so I had to come back to see the endo. She put in a temporary filling though and so the whole process at least gave me an idea of what to expect for the rest of the appointments and although I'm not excited, I feel more confident.

I think starting with a filling is a great idea - you're going to do great - especially because you know if you're still anxious, you can have sedation going forward. That would ease my mind a lot - I hope you get some peace from that!

Thank you so much for replying. I wasn't sure if anyone would. It does help to know that I can be sedated but the thought of that scares me. I've never had the injection so I'd like to at least try it before anything else. It might not be as bad as I imagine. It's still scary though. It's really crazy how so many people can be afraid of the same thing ... THE DENTIST! most people I speak to say it's all in our heads if you let your imagination run away with you that that's exactly what will happen. I hope I'm okay I just want to be like other people and have regular check ups and actually enjoy or even not be worried about visiting the dentist. The dentist I have is great she's very patient and caring which has helped loads. Even her assistants are lovely! I think I'm scared of the thoughts in my head like the image of drilling and the image of of having extractions.

Thank you so much for replying. I wasn't sure if anyone would. It does help to know that I can be sedated but the thought of that scares me. I've never had the injection so I'd like to at least try it before anything else. It might not be as bad as I imagine. It's still scary though. It's really crazy how so many people can be afraid of the same thing ... THE DENTIST! most people I speak to say it's all in our heads if you let your imagination run away with you that that's exactly what will happen. I hope I'm okay I just want to be like other people and have regular check ups and actually enjoy or even not be worried about visiting the dentist. The dentist I have is great she's very patient and caring which has helped loads. Even her assistants are lovely! I think I'm scared of the thoughts in my head like the image of drilling and the image of of having extractions.

The good news is, you won't really see anything she is doing! I close my eyes out of reflex from having things so close to my face, but you can't see into your mouth while she is working.

I am needle phobic so the injections were the hardest part for me. My husband held my hand and she went slow which mean it was a longer process than I'd have liked, but it makes it less painful. It wasn't pleasant but I also wouldn't describe them as painful. They were *not* as bad as I thought they'd be. More uncomfortable than anything, and mine did a smaller shorter injection an once it kicked in, she did it again but promised I wouldn't feel it because of the first one and she was right - that was also reassuring to knowing I was numb and wouldn't feel when she started to drill.

And just because it is psychological and in our heads (literally!) doesn't mean it's not real and valid. I don't think I've quite worked past all the anxiety but this board has helped and going once has boosted my confidence so I at least know what to expect and how to get through the next appointments.

The good news is, you won't really see anything she is doing! I close my eyes out of reflex from having things so close to my face, but you can't see into your mouth while she is working.

I am needle phobic so the injections were the hardest part for me. My husband held my hand and she went slow which mean it was a longer process than I'd have liked, but it makes it less painful. It wasn't pleasant but I also wouldn't describe them as painful. They were *not* as bad as I thought they'd be. More uncomfortable than anything, and mine did a smaller shorter injection an once it kicked in, she did it again but promised I wouldn't feel it because of the first one and she was right - that was also reassuring to knowing I was numb and wouldn't feel when she started to drill.

And just because it is psychological and in our heads (literally!) doesn't mean it's not real and valid. I don't think I've quite worked past all the anxiety but this board has helped and going once has boosted my confidence so I at least know what to expect and how to get through the next appointments.

I'm glad your experience wasn't a bad one it's always helps to hear others experiences especially if they are going through or have went through something the same or similar. I agree it is most certainly real. My filling is due in two weeks time I'm still taking my antibiotics for my abscess and then after the scale and polish and filling it's time to get those two teeth out. I'm going to be really scared for that but I know it's something I really have to do. I am studying to be a personal trainer and I look after my body so why should my teeth be any different. That's what I keep telling myself! This forum has helped loads thank you for replying also :) I hope I can at least relieve the anxiety a bit each time I visit the dentist.

Back