• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling fell out after 20 days! Need advice

F

Fati96

Hi
First I should say that I hadn't been to the dentist for 13 years because of my fear and anxiety.
Finally I found a very calm and gentle dentist that I really feel relax at his office, he is so kind!
3 months ago he drilled my tooth and put a temporary filling in it and because he was busy he told me I'll call you to come and fill your tooth.
20 days ago he filled my tooth with amalgam , my tooth had a large decay in a way that when I looked at my filling after work , I saw the filling covered 90% of the tooth.
Anyway...
Today My filling fell out when I was flossing! the whole filling came out and I was just shocked!
I want to cry.
I was happy that he is kind, calm and professional and I will come and fix all my teeth in peace. But now with this disaster I can't trust his work. Alothough he is a good dentist in our city and many people praise him!

Now I don't know what should i do exactly, I mean Should I go to his office and tell him what happened?
Does it need to tell him that my filling fell out?
Do you think can I trust him again ?or I should change my dentist?

I should add that during the process oc filling my tooth he told me: " your tooth is deeply decayed-your tooth decay is a lot."
Then he filled it.
Today I was at another dentist office(i told you that my own dentist is busy and he didn't have problem if I go to another dentist.)
Today When dentist saw my tooth (the one whose filling fell out today) just by looking at the tooth he told me :" it needs root canal."
I am so sad that why my dentist didn't tell me I need root canal!
He is a professional dentist in my city so why...

You're asking questions which are not really answerable.
Let's see what we can do...
Large amalgam fillings are usually unsuccessful, 90% of the tooth structure is much more than you can expect amalgam to cope with. Was the amalgam done to save you money? Could you have afforded a crown for instance? Sometimes we have to do the best we can for what the patient can cope with.
You can't tell if a tooth needs a root canal just by looking at it in most cases.

Your choice of what to do next is rather down to you, what would you like to happen now?

Large amalgam fillings are usually unsuccessful, 90% of the tooth structure is much more than you can expect amalgam to cope with. Was the amalgam done to save you money? Could you have afforded a crown for instance? Sometimes we have to do the best we can for what the patient can cope with.
You can't tell if a tooth needs a root canal just by looking at it in most cases.

Your choice of what to do next is rather down to you, what would you like to happen now?
I didn't want him to just fill my tooth, in fact I left it to himself to diagnose and do whatever is needed, I mean it wasn't done to save my money. It was his diagnosis that my toorh only needs filling. He didn't talk to me to see if i can afford crown or not... . I don't know. I feel so bad that he didn't pay attention.
I started fixing my teeth to have them in the best way.
I thaught if my tooth needs root canal he would tell me but... .
Now I want to know is it needed to tell him?
Or just change my dentist and fix my teeth and don't tell him anything.

My teeth condition is awful, is it possible that he thaught I can't afford crown ???????
I told him the reason that I haven't been to dentistry because of my fear and anxiety....

Perhaps it would be easier to speak to the dentist over the phone or by e-mail? Make sure that you have a discussion with them about what it is that you want and what your expectations are.

If you don't feel confident with them then it's time to look elsewhere.

Hi
This is the photo of my tooth after the filling came out.
20 days ago my dentist placed an amalgam filling in my tooth, but it came out yesterday when I was flossing .
During the procedure he just told me that my tooth decay got worse but he didn't tell me it need root canal or crown or....
I am so upset. Why did it happen?
What do you think of what he did? He was mistaken?
I don't know but I think this tooth needed a crown, did it?
Or at least place pin then fill it?
20 days is too soon for a filling to come out!
Pls help me and tell me if I want to go and ralk to him I want to have some information!
Yesterday I was in another dentist for root canal, as he saw my tooth he told me "it needs root canal".
What was the best way he could do for my tooth when he faced this amount of cavity?DSC_1264.jpg

Back