• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling hasnt resolved toothache

G

Galwaygirl

I had an ache in my second top left molar for the last few months, my dentist initially though it was due to grinding my teeth, but an xray showed a tiny decay under my old filling in the tooth so she replaced the old composite filling with the white amalgum at the end of July (its was a deep filling). This doesnt seem to have resolved the ache. Ive no sensitivity to hot/cold/sweet things, I can eat directly on the tooth without any issue and have no pain at night. The ache just randomly appears during the day. Im going back to my dentist next week for a further look but Im just wondering if anyone has any advise - if the filling hasnt worked, am I looking at a root canal / extraction? I have no xrays to show. The ache is minimal - about a 1 or 2 out of ten, its more bothersome that its not resolving rather than being painful.

Always worth getting the bite checked carefully first. It doesn't sound like it needs RCT or extraction yet.

Thank you so much Gordon - that has put my mind at ease greatly ahead of my appointment next week.

Hi Galway, did this resolve for you ever? I am experiencing the same thing on big fillings done last week. No sensitivity, no pain when chewing, just very dull aches occasional that go away after a few seconds. Never more than 3 on the pain scale.

Hi Izzybell2 - yes it did, not long after I went back to the dentist. She checked my bite and it was fine. I have slight gum recession on the top of the tooth and had been using corsodol gum toothpaste, but my dentist changed me to Colgate pro relief and I got an even softer toothbrush than my current one. Within a few days, everything settled down. I cant say whether it was just the tooth with the filling finally settled down by itself or if the new toothpaste helped with sensitivity from the gum recession?

Back