• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Filling needed now terrified

T

ToothScaredy

Hi,

I saw my dentist for the first time in over a year a few days ago, purely because the pandemic pushed thecheck up back.

He told me that decay has started under a filling I already have (it’s not a massive one). I don’t think it’s a massive amount and I have been booked into have this done towards the end of January.

since then my anxiety has gone through the roof, with thoughts like what if it gets worse having to wait so long? What if it goes from fairly small decay to my whole tooth getting affected? What if I end up with tooth ache over Christmas and unable to see a dentist?

Obviously there’s a lot of sweet treats over the festive season, do I have to clean my teeth after every chocolate now or I’ll make it worse?

i’ve ended up feeling afraid to eat anything incase I make it worse and I’ve been trying to clean my teeth so diligently that now they all feel a bit sensitive (was I overdoing it?) I really struggle with anxiety towards my teeth, I’ve passed out at the dentist before and it was a horrible experience.

I have rung the dentist and said I’m concerned but they’ve said as currently no pain the wait is fine and it’ll be ok. But I still feel so anxious, everything online says you should go ASAP and I have no idea how quickly these things progress.

This is with an nhs dentist, is this wait of 6 weeks reasonable (not sure I can change it if it isn’t though)? Is there anything I can do to protect my tooth from further damage?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
6 weeks is perfectly reasonable, there's no chance it'll get appreciably worse in that time and I doubt you'll be eating enough chocolates to make a big difference over a few weeks.
If you really want to go overboard on it, last thing before bed time, rub a bit of fluoride toothpaste over the offending tooth, try to work it into the decayed area with your finger, then just leave it there. Your saliva switches off during sleep so the fluoride will have a few hours to soak into the area and strengthen it. Any old paste will do, just so long as it has Fluoride in it.

T

ToothScaredy

6 weeks is perfectly reasonable, there's no chance it'll get appreciably worse in that time and I doubt you'll be eating enough chocolates to make a big difference over a few weeks.
If you really want to go overboard on it, last thing before bed time, rub a bit of fluoride toothpaste over the offending tooth, try to work it into the decayed area with your finger, then just leave it there. Your saliva switches off during sleep so the fluoride will have a few hours to soak into the area and strengthen it. Any old paste will do, just so long as it has Fluoride in it.
Thank you, that’s very reassuring 🙂 having something practical to do (putting the toothpaste on) really helps the anxiety too.