• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling on Monday pain since

A

Angie xo

I got a filling on Monday on the top corner... 7th or 6th tooth apparently can't remember which.

Anyway pain ever since the numbness went... Like I can't even eat near that tooth and it's 72 hours later.

I rang the dentist yesterday and got told its most likely sensitivity.. I generally trust my dentist..

But I am still sore today.. Its been 3 days... I'm having to take pain relief on repeat.
I don't know if this is normal or not...

And the fact I was talking to him yesterday I don't want to be ringing again, it could be sensitivity but surely it would be settling... I also have a bad taste in my mouth since Tuesday night... I said this too... Am so surprised that infection hasn't been ruled out..

Like I just don't know what to do

Please help advice me in the right direction

He said to use sensodyne toothpaste for a few days... I am and sure no difference yet anyways

It could be that your bite is off. I would call the dentist office and ask to have them adjust the bite. (I have learned from experience that having your bite off can be excruciating and it is a simple fix!)

He didn't even mention that yesterday.. On the phone, I don't want to be wasting time but I also don't want to be in pain, don't know what to do, but I never thought of this... Thanks

Hi Angie xo,

Sorry to hear you’ve been been in pain.

A bit of discomfort after dental work is common and to be expected to an extent. The tooth is a living part of your body and in a sense it’s just had surgery. Usually the discomfort afterwards is part of the healing process as everything settles.

occasionally though it can be more than that and can benefit from additional attention. This may occur if something if delaying the healing process (such as clenching/ grinding at night or the bite not being balanced or protected) or if it has progressed to a different problem.

A few painkillers over the first few days is reasonably common but if things aren’t improving (or are getting worse) and the discomfort is such that you’re waking at night or having to constantly take painkillers then I’d prefer to see it and considering doing something about it at that stage. Different practices and dentists can have different approaches to this sort of thing.

If it’s still as bad today, I’d consider giving them a call an communicating the extent of the pain.

Hope this resolves for you soon!

Niall

Hey I've woken up to like yellow brown pus in my mouth. And I'd been getting a rotten taste previous.. Think ill ring

What Could this be ?

Hey I've woken up to like yellow brown pus in my mouth. And I'd been getting a rotten taste previous.. Think ill ring

What Could this be ?
Yip, once they hear pus present you should be seen to. At least that makes things clearer and will help with diagnosis and decision on how to help you.

Is it infection do you think it sounds like?

Am so nervous now

So its infection in a tooth that was already bothersome before dentist has recommended it be removed

I hoping the antibiotics help and that can at least be put on the back burner, cause I am traumaztied from 2 teeth I had removed last year, the were broke down to the gum, but it was horrendous.. 2 hours and plenty of tears.

I don't know what to do, he said it was eye teeth so it won't be as bad at all... As it's an upper molar this time

Is this correct like am just so weary of going through it ?

So its infection in a tooth that was already bothersome before dentist has recommended it be removed

I hoping the antibiotics help and that can at least be put on the back burner, cause I am traumaztied from 2 teeth I had removed last year, the were broke down to the gum, but it was horrendous.. 2 hours and plenty of tears.

I don't know what to do, he said it was eye teeth so it won't be as bad at all... As it's an upper molar this time

Is this correct like am just so weary of going through it ?

Hi Angie,

Look, firstly it’s good to have a diagnosis and a plan in place. There are lots of different factors that can contribute to making some tooth removals more challenging than others- if they’re broken down to the gum that can indeed make things trickier.

If your dentist is saying it looks more straight forward then that’s a good sign. Of course, you always have to option to consider sedation if that would ease some of the anxiety about the procedure. Depending on the practice, that may require a referral elsewhere.

it’s worth remembering that the vast majority of teeth come out fine and heal fine. The dentist will want to keep the removal just a simple as you want to keep it so everyone will be working towards the same goal.

I hope the pain settles down and I truly hope that everything goes smoothly for you.

Niall

Thanks so much the replies its really helped and you last reply especially, fingers crossed all goes well, I can get through Christmas at least now with the antibiotics settling it please god ill do well.

Thanks again

You’re very welcome ?

Back