• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling removal.

S

Szle79

Former Member
Hey folks. I'm having a filling removed and replaced next week and I'm worried it's going to hurt. When it was put in 12 years ago I remember it was quite painful. Is there a limit on how much anaesthetic you're allowed?? I think I'm going to need a lot!!

Lots of people have told me that it's no different from having a decaying tooth filled but would like to hear from anyone who's experienced it. It's quite a large front filling and I am scared.

Thanks in advance xxx

It seems that some dentists are "cheaper" with the anesthetic than others.. Make sure you let them know, reiterate you want enough so you don't feel ANYTHING.. I know my old dentist , nothing ever hurt because he always made he he gave me more than enough.. he was quite generous with it at all times.. I don't remember ever feeling anything except one time the pinch of the palatal shot.. but.. it does help to have enough.. you shouldn't experience pain hopefully. My new guy seems to be sensitive enough to give me enough as well and know pretty much how much is needed to not feel things. and bonus..even the shot is painfree. !

Thank you. So you think it's ok to ask for there to be plenty of anaesthetic. I'm not usually anxious where fillings are concerned but this removal of one is freaking me out!

:)

yes, I would definately let them know you want to make sure you have plenty of anesthetic.. this is totally reasonable.

Removal and replacement of a filling wouldn't be so painful I wouldn't think, unless there is additional drilling that needs to be done. I've had a tooth refilled before without any local when I lost a filling. But if you do need a local just ask to be made numb numb numb as was said. I don't think it should be a horrible experience though.

Back